Dextrose Tablets

8 watchers
May 2014
2:25pm, 15 May 2014
15,811 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Found some in a cupboard. I've been having issues with gels, so am going to try another tactic.

Anyone use them while running?

While racing?

How many?

How do you take them?
Where do you keep them?

How do you stop them dissolving?
May 2014
2:41pm, 15 May 2014
1,033 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
Yes. I use them. I started using them because my stomach did not agree with gels. It's fine with these.

I take a couple packs with me on a marathon, but generally come back with one untouched. I take a pack on a half marathon and usually only have a couple tabs.

Stick them in my mouth and crunch them up just before a water station. Take 2-3 tabs at this time.

Cupboard. Oh... you mean when running? lol... Small pocket on back of shorts made for a key.

Erm... I don't know. It's never happened though.

And to answer the question you did not ask... the blackcurrant ones are the nicest! :D

They are a bit slower in working than gels though, so be prepared to get used to taking a couple tabs before you need them. I often take a couple at the start line.
May 2014
2:43pm, 15 May 2014
1,034 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
They also have sport-specific ones now, but I have no idea if they are better or indeed if there is any difference.
May 2014
2:47pm, 15 May 2014
15,813 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Thanks SF. That's pretty much along the lines of what I was thinking. I've had gels stuffed in pockets for years, so I can happily carry a couple of packs of tabs with me (and they're much cheaper, and more readily available)

And if the dissolving thing's never happened, then I assume the fol pack is hard enough wearing.

Cheers for that.
May 2014
2:51pm, 15 May 2014
15,814 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Done the maths. 2 or 3 = 1 gel.
May 2014
2:52pm, 15 May 2014
1,035 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
Yeah, the best of them is the cost and the fact you can get them in the supermarket, not just from sports shops.

I hit the wall in one marathon and the problem I had was that, as said, they are a bit slower in working. I ended up eating nearly a whole packet (seriously, I was like a man possessed) and then buzzing through the finish line as they took effect. I just got used to running on these and take a couple at the start line and then two just before water stations.

Just practice and play with the amounts that suit you.
May 2014
2:52pm, 15 May 2014
1,036 posts
  •  
SillyFencer
OK, that's interesting and matches my 2 or 3 tabs at a time that I have been working with.
May 2014
3:02pm, 15 May 2014
1,080 posts
  •  
Tomsmum
No idea about using them running but I used them in loooooong labours, agree they take a while to have effect but they kept me going for over 24 hours each time.
May 2014
3:11pm, 15 May 2014
7,478 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I use them all the time (for races and training, obv, not just sitting about the house). Got into the habit years ago when we used to get issued them in ration packs. If it's good enough for Her Majesty's finest then it's got to be good for you too, eh? I like the orange ones as well as the blackcurrant.
May 2014
3:29pm, 15 May 2014
2,431 posts
  •  
ReturnoftheJuddi
How are these different to lucozade tablet out of interest? Ive never thought to take them as running energy source before but I like them waaaay more than I like gels so Im thinking about it now :)

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
Found some in a cupboard. I've been having issues with gels, so am going to try another tactic.