Hills of Death (HOD)
Xx
Dec 2020
8:09pm, 19 Dec 2020
18,375 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I have a bit of a left field question.

Lets say someone is dealing with their own mental health issues in a way that has an impact on others but also risks impacting the mental health of others who are impacted by the way they are dealing with it.

Is it best to just let the situation run rather than risk impacting that person or should you confront the situation to protect the mental health of the other person.

I find myself in a very difficult situation and really dont know what to do for the best
Dec 2020
9:31pm, 19 Dec 2020
26,803 posts
  •  
Dave.O
BarefootElf enquire about Fostair as it improved my life no ends and made a big difference from just having the brown inhaler.

Not sure if it's the same Bazoaxe but I have a team member suffering from anxiety and depression and their mental health impacted me slightly (seeing a usually bright young person in tears and lost and opening up to me hit me and I'm pretty heartless) also seeing how it can affect people around them.

I was initially let down going through the right channels at work getting the team member the help they needed. But mentioning it at a national meeting on how I was let down by a 3rd party company that we pay for and also our own employee assistant department I was then put into contact with a certain lady in our organisation that changed everything.

After a phone call with the said certain lady, we organised the correct help that my team member needed. Know knowing the team member is receiving the help they actually need has taken the pressure off me.

I say if you can help the individual then go for it as it benefits everyone.

Also if you are a manager, you have the responsibility of people's mental health and wellbeing below you and in my limited experience the happier you keep your team the easier your life is even if it means sometimes confronting issues head-on to get them sorted.
Dec 2020
12:47pm, 20 Dec 2020
18,384 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thanks Dave and sounds like you got a good outcome.

This situation is very different and is family related. The person is already receiving professional help, but what they believe to be the cause of their difficulties and the way they are dealing with it is creating extra pressure elsewhere in the family and now impacting me.

I feel caught in the middle. Let it go and watch one individual get impacted by it and probably need to seek help or try to address it and risk impacting the other person.

In my view sitting down and talking it through is the best way forward but various requests have been ignored and we have instead been promised an e-mail of which we have already had 3 this year.
Dec 2020
1:08pm, 20 Dec 2020
6,275 posts
  •  
1step2far
Bazoaxe, I guess it depends if the person causing the issue can understand the impact they are having. I know my behaviour over the last 3 months has upset one person in particular, and I feel awful for this now but at the time I was just surviving (and barely that at points). I had no insight in to the effect I had on those around me. If it is impacting on a second person the 1st person needs telling- directly if required.
Dec 2020
1:09pm, 20 Dec 2020
6,276 posts
  •  
1step2far
But also kindly. I'd have been further crushed to learn how things were affecting others. I hope this makes sense, but I'm not convinced it does.
Dec 2020
1:19pm, 20 Dec 2020
18,388 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
1step - that is exactly the issue, they dont appreciate the impact they are having. My challenge is that I know if any attempt is made to have a discussion, it will make things even worse than they are.

We did have a F2F conversation back in the summer which didnt really help although we maybe were not as direct as was required as we were being empathetic about other things.
Dec 2020
4:01pm, 20 Dec 2020
20,035 posts
  •  
Serendippily
It is tricky and talking doesn’t always help, certainly when you are in the thick of it. Is counselling for impacted person a possibility? Because it is hard to be the strong one and keep a sense of proportion when someone you love is unable to give anything back or indeed can’t really handle you x
Dec 2020
5:26pm, 20 Dec 2020
18,390 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Thanks. Counselling is underway and we believe the counsellor had recommended the current course of action. This annoys me as dealing with one person in this way is having a negative impact on others.
Dec 2020
7:55pm, 20 Dec 2020
20,037 posts
  •  
Serendippily
I meant counselling for the person who is having the negative impact Bazoaxe if that makes sense. To help put behaviour in perspective it can be a very hurtful business

About This Thread

Maintained by NRGEE