Dental advise, pretty please

4 watchers
May 2012
10:03am, 10 May 2012
1,110 posts
  •  
Cat the Dog
Are you sitting comfortably?

Last year I had to go to the dentist as I had a very sore tooth. I had an infection; and was prescribed antibiotics. The dentist thought I might need root canal treatment, but the infection cleared up, so she said I didn’t need any further treatment.

Today, I happened to notice a swelling (like a small boil) in my gum above the tooth where I had the infection.

It’s not painful (I’ve had hot and cold drinks this morning and that’s been fine), but I’m just getting over a cold and have been taking quite a bit of paracetamol.

I can’t get a dentist appointment until August (my dentist has resigned!) although I may be able to get an appointment with an emergency dentist miles away (probably at a huge cost)

I’ve got my first triathlon this weekend, and I definitely don’t want it to develop into the horrendous pain that I had with my tooth last year…

Does this sound familiar to anyone? Not sure whether I should try and see an emergency dentist. Obviously I don’t want to take antibiotics if not required.

I guess I am wondering if this is likely to get worse or if it’s just a side effect of having a cold and if it will pass if I leave well alone…

Thank you for listening :-)
May 2012
10:39am, 10 May 2012
5,084 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I had a similar problem a few years back with an infection I had to have antib's and it cleared up in no time, the infection did come back a while later and I got the antib's straight away, ended off needing a filling but not a root canal. Personally I wouldnt risk not getting it looked at, the antib's tend to only be a few days worth whereas being doped up on PKs for your race wouldnt be the best idea.

Do you have a dental hospital near where you live? We have one near us and they're great for emegency work. August is a stupid length of time to wait :( I dont suppose there is a dentist somewhere else and you can just say you're visiting the area can they help? Either way I hope it clears up soon.
May 2012
11:15am, 10 May 2012
24 posts
  •  
Silent Runner
Sounds very similar to something I had. A few years ago I had very bad toothache in one of my molars. I had it crowned and took antibiotics to clear up the infection. For several years after that I had a small swelling on the gum directly beneath the tooth, which came and went intermittently. It was never painful, and as I'd moved house and not signed up with a new dentist, I didn't get anything done about it.

In January I finally got a new dentist and had X-rays taken. It turned out there was an infection in the root canal, but the root itself was dead, which was why there was no pain. The options were to leave it alone - in which case I'd probably get quite a few more years of pain free use from the tooth, but it would eventually loosen and fall out - or to have a root canal filling. I opted for the root canal, to save the tooth.

If it's the same problem I had then you should be fine for the weekend, and it probably wouldn't do any harm to leave it till August to get it looked at. Having said that, I'm not a dentist, so it may be better to get it checked out by one sooner rather than later.

Hope that helps, good luck with the triathlon :-)
May 2012
11:26am, 10 May 2012
2,761 posts
  •  
Scottynbn
Dental hospital sounds best bet. Failing that, add ibuprofin into the equation to ease swelling in the shorter term. You`ll be ok in the tri on painkillers. If you do use ibuprofin, maybe don`t take them on the morning of the race. On saying that, I`ve finished races spaced out on painkillers! ;-)
May 2012
11:51am, 10 May 2012
1,111 posts
  •  
Cat the Dog
Thanks for the responses folks!

As my dentist practise has no dentists at the moment (!) they have an arrangement with the emergency dentist in Edinburgh. I spoke to someone there who advised me to come in and they have given me an appointment for this afternoon. Apparently std NHS charges apply so it shouldn't cost the earth.
May 2012
12:01pm, 10 May 2012
9,891 posts
  •  
Meglet
Hiya, I'm a dentist :)

You've got an infected tooth. The infection is leaking out through the little boil on your gum which is why its not painful, it's when it builds up inside that you get that horrendous toothache. But its a warning sign, it could get worse at any point and you need root treatment on the affected tooth.

August is ridiculous and unacceptable. (sorry, just read last post, glad you have an appt). You may well get some interim treatment but you will need a full root filling soon, and then probably a crown. Don't be fobbed off with just antibiotics, the tooth needs treatment

In the meantime, take painkillers if you need them, and hot saltwater moutwashes held over the area of the boil will help to draw out any infection if it starts to swell up or get painful. Keep an eye out for swelling of your face or severe pain and seek help immediately if this happens!

Hope you get it sorted
May 2012
12:37pm, 10 May 2012
1,718 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
I'm with Meglet on this one. Sounds very similar to the treatment I had for my LR7. Root canal and crown for you I'm afraid.
May 2012
1:03pm, 10 May 2012
1,112 posts
  •  
Cat the Dog
Thanks Meglet & WW

I've resigned myself to root canal treatment. Would antibiotics keep the infection at bay in the short term?
May 2012
1:08pm, 10 May 2012
53,075 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Yup, with Meglet too, get it treated asap. I had smething similar years back. I ignored the swelling, had no pian because I take large doses of ibuprofen for a chronic condition and ended up in hospital with the dental surgeon having my jaw cleaned up as the infection had gone from the root canal to the jaw bone :-O
May 2012
1:15pm, 10 May 2012
1,719 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
Is the abscess weeping CD? White puss?

My LR7 gum line was swollen but the abscess was weeping puss. When I had my consultation with my endodontist she recommended just sweeping the gum with my finger to remove puss regularly and good oral hygiene until she could start root canal work.

You should be looking at a couple of weeks though to get this sorted out though or ASAP.

About This Thread

Maintained by Cat the Dog
Are you sitting comfortably?

Last year I had to go to the dentist as I had a very sore tooth. I h...