8 watchers
gt
Oct 2021
10:31am, 17 Oct 2021
23 posts
  •  
gt
Is there such a thing?

I cycle quite a bit, both road and off-road.
I've started running again a few months ago but I'm not fast and not doing huge distances.

Is there a definitive list of non-running and non-cycling exercises that'll help me improve at both and hopefully help prevent running injuries?

I'm looking for exercises I can do at home with minimal equipment over the winter months alongside some running and cycling. I currently do a little bit of yoga and absolutely no strength training at all. I should probably start doing some upper body stuff as I probably look quite silly with cyclists thighs and Mr Muscle arms (-:
Oct 2021
7:29pm, 17 Oct 2021
54,521 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
This is very good for an overview and general advice amazon.co.uk There's no guarantee that any cross training activity will improve your running or cycling or reduce your injury risk, but resistance training is recommended for maintaining bone and muscle health, increasingly so as we get older.
gt
Oct 2021
7:32am, 18 Oct 2021
25 posts
  •  
gt
Thanks for that, I’ll order a copy and see how I get on.
Oct 2021
8:21am, 18 Oct 2021
8,550 posts
  •  
oceanspirit
I have found that doing HIIT over the last few years has really helped me with building core muscles and getting better at running as well as faster times.
Oct 2021
10:29am, 18 Oct 2021
1,863 posts
  •  
auburnette
Thanks v'rap, I also ordered it.

In 2017-2018 I did a LOT of HIIT classes involving big compound movements. It unquestionably improved my form and injury resilience, I was able to do hard workouts 4-5 times a week for over a year and a half... up until the point where i did a minor hamstring tear sprinting on tired legs, that was my own fault for overdoing things though.

Form is really important to get the best out of big movements, like for squats it's essential that the knees aren't collapsing inwards.

I also found doing lots of core work improved the stability of my hips and pelvis while running. Unfortunately conditioning has taken a bit of a backseat of late, I need to build it back into my routine.
jda
Oct 2021
10:33am, 18 Oct 2021
10,968 posts
  •  
jda
I have that book and I like it. Must restart some of what it suggests :-)
Oct 2021
10:59am, 18 Oct 2021
4,115 posts
  •  
Curly45
It sounds mad as its for kids, but for many of us who have sedentary jobs we can pretty well out of the EA programme Athletics 365:

englandathletics.org

If you look at the progressions and challenges pdf that gives some good ideas with progressions.
Oct 2021
8:35am, 22 Oct 2021
40,037 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think core strength is beneficial for running - performance and avoiding injury.

fetcheveryone.com/forum/the-lets-motivate-each-other-to-do-our-strength-and-core-work-thread-47833/

Quite a few threads on Fetch and links to exercises (see links in side bar of thread above) and related threads. :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Is there such a thing?

I cycle quite a bit, both road and off-road.
I've started running again a few months ago but I'm not fast and not doing huge distances.

Is there a definitive list of non-running and non-cycling exercises that'll help me improve at both and hopefully help prevent running injuries?

I'm looking for exercises I can do at home with minimal equipment over the winter months alongside some running and cycling. I currently do a little bit of yoga and a...