Decision Day

7 watchers
jda
Jul 2020
5:35pm, 26 Jul 2020
7,975 posts
  •  
jda
Well I was assuming an elite international race style of event with maybe 100 or so in the field (Doha had about 70), under those conditions lapping people will be less of an issue than running in bunches. I just can't see 10,000 mixed-ability happening any time soon whatever arrangements they put in place. It's just not compatible with the whole social distancing concept really.
Jul 2020
11:53am, 27 Jul 2020
367 posts
  •  
Spideog
How many people are you actually interacting with during a mass participation event for more than a couple of seconds though? You may run within a couple of meters of other people for the first three miles of London, but that isn't all X thousand people in your start wave, just a couple of tens of people who you were huddled up against in the start pen and they are most likely the same group of people still surrounding you three miles in.

The risky bit is when you are huddled up together at the start and chatting whilst facing each other, once you are all running along and nobody is facing each other the chance of any infection from one person to another is massively reduced.

I'm still unsure about if London will find some way to go ahead, the Expo, before the start and train to Blackheath are the only bits I'd be concerned about. They will probably cancel though... but then by the end of October when there is potentially going to be thousands of people going to football stadiums we'll wonder why our run was cancelled.
jda
Jul 2020
12:05pm, 27 Jul 2020
7,978 posts
  •  
jda
I agree it's much more about the start, the finish, the shared surfaces (toilets), the transport, and the crowds of supporters rather than the last 25 miles of the race itself. But that doesn't solve the genuine problems that exist with these aspects.

And as we've just seen with travel to Spain, the question is not just whether it might be possible on a given date in October, but whether the organisers can currently be sufficiently confident of that to shell out on the up-front costs that may be lost in a cancellation.
Jul 2020
12:08pm, 27 Jul 2020
18,086 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
LM at the start is hours of loads of people and then it takes back markers 20+ mins to cross the line and the slower part of the field are running close together so it would be a nightmare

Then there is the expo too and getting to the expo and the start

all very very cramped
Jul 2020
1:18pm, 27 Jul 2020
368 posts
  •  
Spideog
They are making us wait another 10 days whilst further negotiations happen:

virginmoneylondonmarathon.com
Jul 2020
9:11pm, 27 Jul 2020
4,512 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
As Brighton is two weeks before London, I'd be surprised if they don't make a decision sooner. They usually chat with each other anyway but that would mean only seven weeks before race day (Brighton).

For Brighton, transport and spectators are the main issues. Finding accommodation in Brighton is never easy and expensive. Anyone using the park and ride system may expect delays unless more buses can be laid on for social distancing. Southern Rail started to put on fewer trains years ago and with potential staff shortages, that isn't going to improve.

It is estimated that 150k people line the streets for the Brighton Marathon. The city, mainline station and trains are heaving every year after the race, not helped by the BM10k and BM Ride also taking place.

The city are still very keen for the event to go ahead. It has been reported that if the BM Weekend is cancelled like the Brighton Festival and Pride events, it could cost the city up to £100 million in lost revenue. Is it worth the risk?
Jul 2020
9:33pm, 28 Jul 2020
3,566 posts
  •  
jabberknit
The Yorkshire is making us wait until August 18th before announcing their decision.
Jul 2020
6:30pm, 29 Jul 2020
4,519 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
The rumour is that the Brighton Marathon is about to be cancelled. The organisers have spoken to the charities first before making an official announcement.
Jul 2020
2:04pm, 30 Jul 2020
370 posts
  •  
Spideog
I think World Athletics has to be anticipating an event happening in the autumn with a gold label that can count as an Olympic qualifier seeing as they changed the qualification window back from 1st December to from 1st September. All the other events are cancelled so it's either London happens under relatively normal route and conditions, or they resurrect the Olympic marathon course and run an event purely for elites and a few of the higher end championship runners to keep them company on the way round.
Jul 2020
2:47pm, 30 Jul 2020
27,871 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
It will be a no (not even a elite, crowds), not because of the race but transport, accommodation, people travelling from around the country, expo, supporters, etc etc. There will be the option to defer, most will take it I should think.

Of course there will be a second wave and it won't happen in April 2021 either!

About This Thread

Maintained by Phrased
Looks like decision day is looming for the London Marathon. Any thoughts on where the smart money is...