Decision Day

7 watchers
Jul 2020
7:44pm, 25 Jul 2020
First-time poster!!
  •  
Phrased
Looks like decision day is looming for the London Marathon. Any thoughts on where the smart money is as to what they will decide?
Jul 2020
7:51pm, 25 Jul 2020
20,286 posts
  •  
Dvorak
A special event involving only elites, celebrities, anyone who has raised over £10 000 for charity, and a rhino.
Jul 2020
7:57pm, 25 Jul 2020
2 posts
  •  
Phrased
I need to raise another 3k this weekend then.
Jul 2020
8:09pm, 25 Jul 2020
47,702 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
The smart money will be passed discreetly between Mr Branson's minions and various parliamentarians and dispensation will be given for that event, and only that event, to be allowed to go ahead with exemption from social distancing requirements. There will be no water stations. Participants will be required to have a COVID test the day before at their own expense, to purchase and carry official branded sanitiser and face coverings, and to make their own way to the start without using public transport. There will be no refunds and no deferrals.
Jul 2020
8:14pm, 25 Jul 2020
4,493 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Hi Phrased - welcome to Fetch.

I'm doing Brighton instead of London. Like in March, they will probably both make announcement around the same time (this Tuesday coming). London may be an elite-only race on a multi-lap course as mentioned elsewhere on this site. Not sure about Brighton although my guess would be a cancellation or just do the BM10k.
Jul 2020
8:18pm, 25 Jul 2020
3 posts
  •  
Phrased
Thanks Phil, that’s very helpful.

The local charity I’ve raised money for said they’d roll over my place till next year, if it gets deferred for ‘social runnners’, so that would work ok for me.
Jul 2020
8:20pm, 25 Jul 2020
4,494 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I thought the VMLM didn't have celebrities any more. I wouldn't call z-listers or soap opera extras celebrities.
Jul 2020
8:22pm, 25 Jul 2020
4,495 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
No problem, Phrased.

Brighton have already advised runners of free deferrals even when they postponed the April event. Even with reduced numbers, I still would say that it will not be going ahead in September.
jda
Jul 2020
4:25pm, 26 Jul 2020
7,974 posts
  •  
jda
It’s a nope from me. The whole point is the huge mass participation event and crowds of supporters. Without these, what’s it actually for?

Small private elite races with no spectators can (and should!) be held somewhere out of the way where access can be controlled. Something along the lines of Doha (but for the climate) or even the Vienna sub-2 course would be good. Short loop is much easier for logistics.
Jul 2020
4:34pm, 26 Jul 2020
34 posts
  •  
CrispByNature
Short loop must present its own challenges with SD depending on size of field etc.

I reckon since Garmin is down anyway they'll just claim that Kipchoge came in at 2:19 closely followed by Mo and that bloke dressed as the Houses of Parliament, and no-one will know any better!

About This Thread

Maintained by Phrased
Looks like decision day is looming for the London Marathon. Any thoughts on where the smart money is...