Death Of The Club Run ...

2 watchers
Mar 2016
8:26am, 21 Mar 2016
27,167 posts
  •  
Old Croc
We have club nights Tues & Thurs - official ones. Then intervals on Saturday mornings - semi official and a few different groups meet Sundays - unofficial.
Mar 2016
11:29am, 21 Mar 2016
1,359 posts
  •  
Spleen
Our club runs Tuesdays and Thursdays. We often have informal groups going out for long runs on the weekend but those are organised on an individual basis. Given Parkrun on Saturday, races on Sunday and all the other things people do at the weekend, there's never been any noticeable desire for a formal weekend club run.
Mar 2016
11:49am, 21 Mar 2016
5,004 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Yeah a Saturday morning run would not work foru our club as there are like five parkruns within 30 minutes, so everyone is off doing one of those.

We run Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday. Normally get between 10-20 runners on a Sunday, more right now due to marathon training for many.
Mar 2016
11:53am, 21 Mar 2016
8 posts
  •  
FITCHICK
The local club to me runs on Tuesday and Thursday evenings then longer runs on Sunday mornings. For the less serious there is a social running group goes out on Tuesday, Thursday and does parkrun on SAturday.
Mar 2016
12:05pm, 21 Mar 2016
3,254 posts
  •  
ndellar
I agree Sat is probably a bad choice of day generally, not because of parkrun but I guess it hasn't helped over recent years.

Also how are the club runs organized? We have lots of pace groups but I get highly annoyed if I do a club run in a pace group advertised as 10mm and people are zooming off up the road at sub 9s and it has put me off in the past.

Also we have spring marathon training groups that go off up mountains and through bogs. All enjoyable and time on feet but if I want to bash out some marathon pace for a road marathon doing it up a massive muddy hill is not going to fit, and means I'll do a solo run on the roads. Are the club runs of the distance / terrain / pace people want?
Mar 2016
3:14pm, 21 Mar 2016
55 posts
  •  
M.ister W
You're also running at 10am. That's way too late for most people as they want to run early. I'm out of the door before 8am for my long runs.

How about suggesting to your club that they move the weekend runs to a Sunday morning at 9am? It might also help to advertise what distance/pace the Sunday groups will be running. I was always keener to turn out if I knew I could there would be a group doing the sort of distance I was after, particularly when training for a race.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Has anyone experienced the death of a club run? We have over 120 members in our club and for the pas...