Dear Scottish Fetchies

66 watchers
Nov 2022
8:59pm, 23 Nov 2022
44,734 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, my mum and I were talking about that this morning Bazo. I'd like them to spend a year discussing, debating, educating and to a certain extent campaigning, by all means. But with no referendum at the end of it, unless it looks like there is a significant move to above 60% in favour. Not sure how you'd establish that though - opinion polls? :-) G
Nov 2022
9:02pm, 23 Nov 2022
23,980 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Opinion polls and actual elections will give a good guide. As it stands I don’t believe snp have had more than 50% votes in any election and whilst there was a spell yes polled ahead, the long term trend suggests there is little difference since 2014

It won’t happen until sturgeon either stands down or is removed, but the strategy has to change.

I have not been logged on all day as busy at work, but I see from reading elsewhere the grievance machine is in full swing.
Nov 2022
9:05pm, 23 Nov 2022
44,736 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Agree Bazo. I can understand how people can feel aggrieved, at what feels like just more diktat from London. But most people are "win at all costs" attitude. I'm a bit more understanding before confrontation. :-) G
Nov 2022
9:10pm, 23 Nov 2022
23,981 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I really think sturgeon is blind to what she needs to do.

Forget the grievance. Forget the demonisation of those that don’t vote yes.

Instead let’s see a success of devolution and let’s see a fully costed view of what independence would look like.

Most importantly an acknowledgement of the risks and how they will be mitigated.
Nov 2022
11:51am, 24 Nov 2022
7,929 posts
  •  
Duchess
Bazo, at the last Holyrood election, the pro-indy parties secured 14,000 votes more than pro-union across both constituency and list votes, out of more than 2.1 million total votes cast. A hair's breadth.

Yesterday's ruling simply says that the Scottish Parliament does not have the power to legislate for a referendum on leaving the UK, anymore than Dumfries and Galloway has on one to leave Scotland.
Nov 2022
12:15pm, 24 Nov 2022
23,986 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Duchess, I think the list votes confuse matters a little and its hard to take that as a guide. Equally the first votes cannot be used as a guide either.

I still would like to see agreed criteria under which a vote can be held and I stand by the thoughts on what sturgeon could do to move the dial, but for whatever reason she refuses to even consider.
Nov 2022
4:33pm, 24 Nov 2022
7,930 posts
  •  
Duchess
Actually I misremembered my numbers. Total votes were >5.4m.
In total, pro-Indy got about 38k more votes at 49.56% of the total.
They got 49.0% of the constituency vote, and 50.1% of the regional.

I said at the time (in a different forum) that anyone seeking to call or predict the result of a referendum off margins as narrow as that would be a fool. I’ll stand by that!
Nov 2022
4:38pm, 24 Nov 2022
44,776 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah Duchess, I think Bazo and I are both saying something similar that it is so polarised and finely balanced Yes/No, that we need a bit of healthy and collaborative national discourse on what the pros and cons are. With some real facts and figures coming out. And if they are compelling one way or the other, hopefully that would move the dial to 60 / 40 or more, one way or the other.

50/50 is not a healthy place to be. It smacks of a very divided country. :-) G
Nov 2022
7:02pm, 24 Nov 2022
23,990 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
55/45 didn’t settle it in 2014. Then we had brexit in 2016, which was a significant change. If we agree to agree it’s now 50/50 give or take, that’s no good. It needs 60/40 next time either way to resolve for good.
jda
Nov 2022
7:59pm, 24 Nov 2022
13,854 posts
  •  
jda
No question can ever be resolved for good, a new generation always has the right to make its own decisions.

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
There's some charlatan with a Scottish name talking in London today, urging us down here to persuad...