Dear Scottish Fetchies

66 watchers
Sep 2021
8:59am, 9 Sep 2021
39,632 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There's an argument that Barnett is income tax and the funds distribution, there are other resources that Scotland has which means it isn't a net beneficiary of Westminster's generosity. But I don't have a link to back that up.
Sep 2021
9:00am, 9 Sep 2021
39,633 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Agree that any independence "case" should be prepared both sides and should be impartial. Won't happen though. Because there are "sides". So each side will spin its own thinking. And there will be fibs and omissions and extensions of the truth etc. on both sides. And voters will be confused as sh*t, including the smart ones, like us. It's going to be a tough few years in Scottish politics.
Sep 2021
9:11am, 9 Sep 2021
20,806 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Sounds like an urban myth until we have a source - lol

I agree on the case for Independence. We need an impartial view of this to be prepared and my view is that the Civil Service should be impartial. However as you say that is not going to be the case and we will likely end up with a case for Independence that focuses on the positives and doesnt explore the risks properly while any questions asked will be dubbed project fear :-(
Sep 2021
9:52am, 9 Sep 2021
2,318 posts
  •  
Surelynot
I think you have the wrong view of the role of the civil service which is to 'help the government of the day develop and implement its policies as effectively as possible.'

gov.uk
Sep 2021
10:11am, 9 Sep 2021
20,807 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
We are clearly into the usual differences that cannot be resolved.

As I see it the government policy is to seek a referendum, not to build the case to support one of the outcomes if there is a referendum.
Sep 2021
10:57am, 9 Sep 2021
39,637 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
The government of the day was elected with a very clear objective to obtain independence . It's literally their primary goal, as a party. Obviously they want to do it democratically, so a referendum is the way to do that.

But I agree Bazo, it would be *nicer* if all parties put their views in the pot, then an independent administrative body put all that together and presented it back to people in a clear and non-partisan way.

Willnae happen though!

Scot Nats are perfectly entitled to use the civil service to craft their case for independence. They will do their best to show it as balanced, but it's unlikely to be! :-) G
Sep 2021
10:58am, 9 Sep 2021
7,651 posts
  •  
57.5 Degrees of Pain
Whichever side of the argument you fall on, it is quite obvious Scottish government policy is to gain independence. UK government policy is to oppose this.

There is a long-standing consensus in the UK that a referendum is the best way to settle these major constitutional changes so that was the means chosen to settle the issue by both sides in 2014. Without agreement with the UK government, this time the referendum is part of the fight, at least for now. But the policy remains the same.
Sep 2021
11:52am, 9 Sep 2021
2,319 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Bazo - having a view that a government shouldn't campaign for a key policy will always lead to disappointment. It's fundamentaly what politics and government is all about.
Sep 2021
6:42pm, 9 Sep 2021
1,951 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
Unfortunately, as already mentioned, a case for Independence will never be impartial. As Happy stated there are ‘sides’, and there will always be spin, fibs, and scaremongering whatever the side of the fence.

I’ve been living in Scotland for about 30 years now. My husband is Scottish, my children are Scottish, and I for one would like to see an independent Scotland, as would they. Not saying that it will be a bed of roses, but I think in the long run, it’ll be by far the better option for many reasons.
Sep 2021
6:59pm, 9 Sep 2021
1,952 posts
  •  
Pinkliverbird
By the way, apologies for barging in with this, but thought it would be a good forum page to post this.

If any of you lovely Fetchies are looking for a decent treadmill, I am selling mine on ebay.
A bit late in getting this out as auction finishes on Saturday. You'd need to collect from Glasgow. Cheers :-)

ebay.co.uk

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
There's some charlatan with a Scottish name talking in London today, urging us down here to persuad...