Dear Scottish Fetchies

66 watchers
Feb 2021
2:25pm, 24 Feb 2021
2,106 posts
  •  
Surelynot
JRithcie - on what are you basing your claim that Scotland 'has one of the most devolved powers in the world'?

Compared with states in the US? Germany? I don't think it stands up to scrutiny.

We were promised much more on the eve of the last referendum. We got a few scraps.

The Unionist parties could put forward a positive case for the Union. They don't seem able. They couldn't in 2014 and they are still failing to do so now.

It's up to them to win the argument as well.
Feb 2021
3:07pm, 24 Feb 2021
37,795 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I was going to cite Germany's "Laender", they have huge amount of autonomy and equal representation at a federal government level. USA too. Though not sure I ever want to cite USA as epitome of good government! :-O
Feb 2021
3:39pm, 24 Feb 2021
2,242 posts
  •  
JRitchie
Federal governments (USA, Germany) come from different historical structures that created their state. UK as a unitary state formed of Union and so the process of their devolved powers should be reflected against, say France, Spain, Norway etc. Trust me Surelynot when I say "I read it in an article" - may have been Open Uni - link is lost in my mind. I am open to more recent / counter articles.
Feb 2021
4:02pm, 24 Feb 2021
2,107 posts
  •  
Surelynot
The only time I have heard the phrase ' the most devolved government in the world' has been from Unionist politicians and journalists and usually referring to a future state being promised by Gordon Brown when wheeled out in his 'saviour of the union' mode. :)
Feb 2021
4:08pm, 24 Feb 2021
37,801 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
To be fair, national governments like France and Spain come from different places historically to the UK too (revolution chopping off the heads of their aristocracy, and emerging from under the yoke of fascist dictatorship respectively). So I think we can all describe historical differences!

There are good, federal models with greater devolution that UK. Where they come from is less important than where they are and how it serves them.
Feb 2021
4:10pm, 24 Feb 2021
37,802 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh, and while I'm doing history, the reason some other countries have a single, unified national government which works well representing its people is...

!! Independence !!

Norway and Sweden - one country, had a great big battle, Norway independent (17 May, don't know which year but I know the date, cos I always partied with the Norgies on 17 May)
Feb 2021
4:12pm, 24 Feb 2021
2,108 posts
  •  
Surelynot
1905 for Norway.
Feb 2021
4:14pm, 24 Feb 2021
37,803 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Sorry, Norwegian independence: no battle - agreed peacefully by parliament in 1905. Having been sold/given away by Denmark in 1814 after defeat in Napoleonic wars. Good old wikipedia.

So, Sweden, Norway, two happy, independent countries, with a land border, happily and prosperously co-existing. (They still make lots of jokes about each other, but that's OK. Like friends/families do!) :-) G
Feb 2021
5:07pm, 24 Feb 2021
2,243 posts
  •  
JRitchie
I do agree the Gordon Brown "nothing short of home rule" statement was not met. Though a unionist I have always said that greater devolved powers are a good thing. I think for one thing they would better show up the challenges to full independence with more transparent powers on company tax, VAT and doing away with the barnet formula.

Thank you for the Nordic history HG. I read that in their 1905 referendum more than 99% voted in favour. I accept that you can't argue against those statisitcs.
Feb 2021
10:20pm, 24 Feb 2021
37,805 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I think even Bazo would accept a 99% referendum result. That's huge! :-) G

About This Thread

Maintained by ChrisHB
There's some charlatan with a Scottish name talking in London today, urging us down here to persuad...