Deadlifts, am I doing them wrong?

3 watchers
Sep 2015
8:17pm, 21 Sep 2015
9,379 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
I have been doing deadlifts (occasionally, not as regularly as I should) to try to improve my back strength. Obviously there are other benefits, but mainly I just get really bad DOMS in my adductors - today they are really bad!

I have watched various YouTube videos for the correct technique, and my chiropractor has also made sure my technique is good, plus I watch my back carefully during each rep in a side on mirror.

Maybe I just have really, really weak adductors? I want to build strength in them too, as I struggle with a lot of ITB pain too.

I don't think I'm pushing myself that hard, I have been doing 3 x 10 reps with 5kg on the bar.

Any thoughts?
Sep 2015
8:28pm, 21 Sep 2015
9,380 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
*3 x 20 reps
Sep 2015
8:34pm, 21 Sep 2015
19,968 posts
  •  
eL Bee!
I wonder with just 5kg weights on the bar if you are not having to squat a little low for your starting position and overworking your adductors to keep stable!

Why are you doing low weight/high reps for deadlifts? Or are you just doing that to sort technique before using higher weights?
Sep 2015
8:35pm, 21 Sep 2015
6,198 posts
  •  
lammo
Proper Olympic bar?

If so that's quite a lot of work, 3x20@30kg's

Maybe ease up a bit and do more frequently?

I do deadlifting occasionally too, love it, but I think it's easy to overdo it.

Keep us posted
Sep 2015
8:37pm, 21 Sep 2015
6,199 posts
  •  
lammo
Hmm some differing points of view already :-)
Sep 2015
9:24pm, 21 Sep 2015
9,381 posts
  •  
Liliaicha
Lol! eL Bee says not enough weight, lammo says too much!

I don't know what an 'Olympic' bar is!

This is the set I have: argos.co.uk

I'm finding 3 x 20 with 5kgs pretty tough eL Bee! Gotta start somewhere.
Sep 2015
9:29pm, 21 Sep 2015
First-time poster!!
  •  
Sproggy
Not an Olympic bar - I am with El Bee - why so many reps at low weight?

Try heavier - but fewer
Sep 2015
9:29pm, 21 Sep 2015
2 posts
  •  
Sproggy
Not an Olympic bar - I am with El Bee - why so many reps at low weight?

Try heavier - but fewer
Sep 2015
9:36pm, 21 Sep 2015
24,804 posts
  •  
idio
Sounds like you are not doing them regular enough for your body to adapt to them.
Sep 2015
9:36pm, 21 Sep 2015
7,102 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I tend to agree with eL Bee. Those little weights mean the bar will be very low on the floor. I load a 20kg bar (that's the Olympic bar) with the big plastic 5kgs rather than the smaller metal plates (I only add those for extra weight) - this makes the actual bar higher on the ground.

3 x 20 also sounds too many reps to me - my coach advised me to add weight when 3 x 12 became comfortable.

Also even glancing to the side (mirror) can throw you off - I try not too - although I admit it's hard to check form without someone watching.

About This Thread

Maintained by Liliaicha
I have been doing deadlifts (occasionally, not as regularly as I should) to try to improve my back s...