Dartmoor Classic Sportive

4 watchers
Jun 2012
5:47pm, 24 Jun 2012
135 posts
  •  
Cyclops
I shouted 'Runner duck' at a woman in a Rosie the Riveter top but I don't know if it was you!!
Jun 2012
9:09pm, 24 Jun 2012
24 posts
  •  
alsoran
Well it is over! :-). I liked the beginning, I like climbing Trendlebear, but as soon as we started the diversion, I recognised the route I did 4weeks ago on the SSIT charity ride (except the other direction), so Iknew what horrible hills were to come and that I would have to get off and push on 2 of them, which I duly did. Then goig into Princetown from the north left me pushing again, up Rundlestone Hill. I was not v happy and even considered bailing out & returning in the shuttle-bus. But as soon as I left the feed station and turned for home I felt better (this has happened before), and did not have to push again, and got back in good time and got a bronze medal! The first I have ever won due to the time I recorded and not just a finishers' medal :-).
Jun 2012
9:11pm, 24 Jun 2012
25 posts
  •  
alsoran
I sat at the table eating my porrodge from about 7am to 7.30, in my Fetch vest, but I didn't see any others. I wore it again after the ride, but I must have missed you all
Jun 2012
8:02pm, 25 Jun 2012
8,294 posts
  •  
runner duck
if it was me i didn't hear you, cyclops :(

i was glad i wore that jersey tho as it got lots of comments on the way round, which was fun :)

sorry i didn't spot you, alsoran, although i'm not sure we were there that early. and i was looking round afterwards but didn't see you :(

i was a bit out of it as i'd been up half the night with a dicky tummy and wasn't sure whether i'd be able to get very far! but i perked up after about an hour and would have been fine if i hadn't got cramp in my quads. i actually fell off the first time it happened as i just couldn't bend my leg and couldn't unclip my other foot fast enough. that was on that long slog towards princetown with the headwind. i had to get off at nearly every hill after that or crawl up less steep hills in bottom gear so that i didn't have to put any force through the pedal as i cramped every time i did. very frustrating! i, too, considered bailing at princetown but decided to make a start on the second half as i'd been told it wasn't so bad and i hoped the electrolyte drink might help. it didn't, really, but i perked up a bit mentally and carried on. i left princetown 3.5hours in so i knew that i might still get a medal despite walking so many hills. so i gave it as much welly as my leg would allow on the flats and downs and crawled or walked up the inclines. made it in 5:59:49 - exceedingly chuffed with that :) :) :)

despite everything i thought it was a fantastic day and the organisation was amazing. how they managed to sort out the detour and have it all marshalled at the last minute, i don't know.

my back is seriously unhappy with me for doing it at the moment but if the consultant manages to sort it out enough for me to be able to cycle without too much pain in the future i will definitely be back. i reckon that without the cramping and with better prep i might, just might, get that silver medal :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Cyclops
Started this thread so that the people on Knitting, Crochet and General Craftery - and others - have...