Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Daniels Running Formula. The Definitive Wire.

57 watchers
1 Feb
12:10am, 1 Feb 2021
4116 posts
Kieren
Has anyone done the Gold plan or Jack Daniels' 5K training. I finish marathon training in March and am thinking about JD again for one of those two (both about 60mpw)
1 Feb
8:50am, 1 Feb 2021
124997 posts
GregP
~watches with interest~
24 Feb
12:44am, 24 Feb 2021
4125 posts
Kieren
Injury set me back 3 weeks, so slight delay on this. I will probably do 8 weeks of either, then switch to a half marathon plan for. a race I've booked
24 Feb
11:28am, 24 Feb 2021
55979 posts
GlennR
~carries on watching~
24 Feb
11:45am, 24 Feb 2021
13362 posts
rf_fozzy
When finally uninjured again (hopefully at some point in the next decade), I'll go back to use Daniels

Won't use a specific plan, but will stick to the basic principles
24 Feb
11:50am, 24 Feb 2021
251 posts
anthonyj89
I think in general, Jack Daniels sessions are too hard, particularly for experienced fast runners. His 2Q sessions for example you won't want to do something like 6M 1T 6M more than once every couple of weeks as their just too attritional.
I do use some of his general principles though and modify as necessary.
24 Feb
11:54am, 24 Feb 2021
13365 posts
rf_fozzy
Totally disagree with that - I think most training plans are too *easy*

I don't like intervals at 5k pace like P&D.
24 Feb
11:56am, 24 Feb 2021
13366 posts
rf_fozzy
I guess it depends on what type of runner you are - I definitely respond well to hard sessions and high mileage.
24 Feb
11:58am, 24 Feb 2021
35610 posts
Night-owl
I do love Daniels when I ran decent mileage I found it suited me more.

Liked the variety of paces within one session

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Which it is the Daniels thread of the world. With links in the header and everything. It is also a good place for triathletes to hide if they've fallen (hopefully temporarily) out of love with doing three things in a half arsed manner and yearn to be able to try and just do one thing properly. Or at least to the best of their ability.

Like the old 'definitive' wire, only better. And less dead.

Herewith the Attackpoint spreadsheet: attackpoint.org

'Daniels Training Tables' sheet - aka 'the big spreadsheet': electricblues.com