Cyst on knee

3 watchers
Apr 2013
1:57pm, 29 Apr 2013
1,144 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I thought I had bursitis but upon further inspection I found a small lump on top of my kneecap. There is no pain but the lump swells up sometimes and causes a 'pressure' type feeling. I have to go back to the doctors tomorrow after havin seen a nurse practitioner today who is pretty certain it's a cyst ( as the lump is not attached anywhere and rolls about ) What is the most likely thing they will do? As I don't want to take a load of time off runnning but despite the fact there is no pain the swelling up is uncomfortable and worries me.
Apr 2013
4:00pm, 30 Apr 2013
15,936 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
A sebaceous cyst would be attached to the skin, rather than the joint, and would move freely with the skin. Something related to the joint could be termed a cyst, but that doesn't sound like what you are describing.

Main option is surgery, usually under local unless its massive. Shouldn't slow you down too much, but you would need a bit of time for it to heal.

You can also just leave them alone, they dont do any harm. They can be unsightly, and could be uncomfortable if you kneel on it etc. Occasionally they can get infected and become abscesses that require drainage.
May 2013
9:16am, 3 May 2013
1,146 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Thanks Johnny. Went back and they said that they actually thought it was some kind of scar tissue or fatty lump ( eugggh ) & the swelling I experienced last wk was not connected to the actual lump as they thought due to my 'silly' high mileage & knee maltracking issues I had irritated my patella tendon. They did a a lot of testing/prodding about and ruled out bursitis ( which I thought it could be ) as the lump was too high & actually on the kneecap, also ruled out cartliage injury ( no lateral pain ), & a load of other stuff. Been told to leave it be shown how to tape for the maltracking and told to strengthen glutes etc. Backed off mileage this wk and it seems ok- not swelled again. The lump is still rolling about in there in front of the kneecap in that lump of skin that can be pulled away. Gross but apparently not serious.
May 2013
9:22am, 3 May 2013
16,038 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
:)
May 2013
1:27pm, 4 May 2013
461 posts
  •  
KoughKandi
I fell onto my knees last Sept on some decking. I grazed and bruised my right knee but it soon healed. I also discovered a lump on the top of my knee which was like something sharp in a bubble. I f I pressed it, it was felt like a sharp needle inside. Having to train for a marathon i did not go to the doctor until a week before the race. I had an x ray that came back clear? I still have the sharp lump and am worried about it.
May 2013
7:16pm, 4 May 2013
1,149 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Not sure KK but I guess it's prob a similar kind of thing to the lump I have except there is no sharp feeling when I press it - just feels like a lump inside a sort of fluid like bubble. Try not to worry to much as it is probably just the result of some sort of scarring like mine built up from a bang or fall. They told me in time it may just disperse & becomr absorbed in to the body. Mine was coincidence I think having made my knee swell up from stressing the tendon ( too many miles ) I was poking it about to try & self diagnose then discovered the lump - which could well have been there for ages & I just didn't notice. The only trouble is 'cos I over worry I now poke it, check it & roll it about to see if it's geting bigger - which is prob stupid as it's not painful & unlikely to harm me & if I could leave it alone I might forget about it :-)
May 2013
7:27pm, 6 May 2013
462 posts
  •  
KoughKandi
thank you wiener dog.I may go back to the doctors for further investigations.
May 2013
10:46am, 9 May 2013
1,152 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Sadly it's morphed into a gross alien marble sized lump - & as its between my kneecap & the skin over it theres not a lot of room for manouvre so it's coming out. Saw a doctor who is also a surgeon & he is caling me back today with an appointment to chop it out asap. I just want rid now 'cos it is restricting my running as it swells & gets sore if I run too much also I can't kneel on it. Apparently it won't take long to heal only the cut really so you were right Johnny :-) Hope you get yours sorted KK.
May 2013
11:13am, 9 May 2013
1,153 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Doctor's just rang - FFS my date for the op is MY SODDING BIRTHDAY!!!! :-( Typical ALWAYS me!!!!
May 2013
8:58pm, 10 May 2013
466 posts
  •  
KoughKandi
I saw the Dr last Wednesday, he said there is nothing that can be done for it. I will just have to live with it. He described it as something footballers get if they get kicked in the shin and the knee goes into trauma. :-(

Sorry you will be spending your birthday in hospital WD, but at least you with get relieve from your sore knee. :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I thought I had bursitis but upon further inspection I found a small lump on top of my kneecap. Ther...