Cyclist & Runners Anonymous

2 watchers
Aug 2012
10:28pm, 2 Aug 2012
603 posts
  •  
icklevee
I am at a loss and after hints and tips of how to remain motivated.

I have been instructed to not run/cycle for at least the next month as diagnosed tendinopathy plus suspected arthritis in hip (WTF.......am ONLY 36!!!), and awaiting X-ray and physio.

Feel at a total loss, pining for my bike, wanting to run and bounce along carefree. The idea of only upper body workouts and having to isolate the lower body/pelvic area depresses me.

What on earth do others do to get the adrenalin going, feel like they have had a good workout without casuing any further damage or hindering rehabilitation?????
Aug 2012
10:40pm, 2 Aug 2012
876 posts
  •  
CStar
Are you allowed to swim? Sounds like you should be able to do Tri type upper body driven swimming ( float between your legs sort of thing - I don't do it but have seen others)
Aug 2012
11:06pm, 2 Aug 2012
606 posts
  •  
icklevee
Yeh I can do that - but I really don't like swimming............well, I haven't tried it for years. Was told by doc to use float, but no kicking of legs. He did mention arm-cycling, but can't imagine that being fun, and doesn't stop my arse from growing in size again :-(
Aug 2012
11:20pm, 2 Aug 2012
531 posts
  •  
Kenny_Boy
36, clearly young (said Mr 41....) - why not just enjoy the month? After the month, you'll be right as rain if a little less fit (this is POSITIVE THINKING).

Still 2 weeks of olympics to watch...
Aug 2012
11:27pm, 2 Aug 2012
2,160 posts
  •  
SpeedyMel
I agree with KB, it's only a month. You won't lose too much fitness and you'll come back stronger if you properly rest your injury. If it's going to be for longer you could probably get your GP to prescribe you free gym sessions with a personal trainer who will be able to tell you exactly what you can do. :-)
Aug 2012
11:36pm, 2 Aug 2012
609 posts
  •  
icklevee
Kenny, I guess I have thought that maybe I could tackle sorting out the house and garage (tidying up) that I keep putting off as prefer to use days off to cycle and enjoy the dry weather. Just don't want to get fat again :-( But am loving the Olympics..............but work does get in the way of my fav sports.

Cheers SM, and lost of mates & family have said same. My idea of resting was no running, but increasing the bike miles (alot) to make up the CV fitness.........and so I can keep eating cake. May see what physio suggests, but think its same everywhere for trying to get a appointment with the Doc..........several weeks to get one. Because I was in so much pain, first time I asked for emergency appointment on the day.
Aug 2012
11:53pm, 2 Aug 2012
4,895 posts
  •  
The Pilotlight
time to work on the core and upper come back stronger.... it's only 30 days. try wasting time on fetch, it may help? chin up.
Aug 2012
12:11am, 3 Aug 2012
610 posts
  •  
icklevee
Thank you Pilot, am trying to convince myself that, and am certain that my problem is largely to do with having a weak core and glutes anyway, so maybe this is fates way of giving me a kick up the rear to train properly!

I haven't been on Fetch properly for a while, as lost my running mojo, only coming on to log cycle training. Thought maybe asking for help and ideas from those who are going through or have been through the same injury/frustration would help me work through it, and not taking a long walk off a short pier.
Aug 2012
1:32am, 3 Aug 2012
2 posts
  •  
babyhermes
A month really isn't that much - in fact if you had been training relatively hard before (which it sounds like you had been from your post) easing off a bit will give your body a chance to recuperate and come back fresher. It sounds paradoxical...although 2 of my pb's came after 2 weeks of next to no running due to exams (just walking and a the odd circuit class). As others have said enjoy it - the base you have will mean that getting back to your previous fitness shouldn't take too long at all.

As for upper body workouts...pretty dull but the rowing machine in the gym perhaps? At least it gives you the chance to do a hard cardio/interval session. If you are able to, than aqua jogging - haven't tried it myself but heard good things. As for getting fat, tidying up and cleaning/gardening do burn a fair bit of calories too :)
Aug 2012
4:57am, 3 Aug 2012
611 posts
  •  
icklevee
Cheers 'babyhermes', its just the idea of a month of no CV stuff - unless I can brave the pool. Am looking at swimsuits on Wiggle, so I guess thats a start. Think my swimsuit is about 15yrs old, so best I get a new one rather than face embarassment of it crumbling apart.

I had been training hard (for me) on the bike recently, but my run miles have been significantly down for a number of months now because of the hip (and me not resting it when I first hurt it).

I will look at the rower (don't think it uses hip socket does it?)?. Won't do aqua jogging as instructions from Doc was no kicking if I do go swimming (such a bummer eh). Best when i do tidy stuff up, I go slowly as otherwise will agravate situ with all the bending down, standing, etc.

Thank you for the suggestions. Have programmed into phone days to go to the gym, to try to remind/motivate me (& make use of membership that hasn't been used).

About This Thread

Maintained by icklevee
I am at a loss and after hints and tips of how to remain motivated.

I have been instructed to not...