Cycling for Noobs

87 watchers
Apr 2021
8:57am, 14 Apr 2021
11,636 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Have an edge for cycle but ha 3 also since got a Garmin multi sport watch which does all (just used for a pool swim, even does the SUP). Not sure I will use my edge much more as I have never worked out how to use the maps 🤭
Apr 2021
8:57am, 14 Apr 2021
11,816 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
you can turn off auto-pause on an Edge.

Interesting about getting the mobile version of an OS map when you buy the print version. I've used the app and it's great. I tend to subscribe to it when I'm on holiday for a month and then let the subscription go after the holiday. I'll consider buying the print map now!
Apr 2021
9:27am, 14 Apr 2021
16,497 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
The idea was to use it for cycling as well - but hopefully Mr AL could download the ultra route maps as belt and braces for the event in October - he'd rather save his phone for emergency use. He did lots of reccie runs for the Chester one which he was glad of, but that's not feasible for the Glasgow to Edinburgh one.
Apr 2021
11:05am, 14 Apr 2021
2,108 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
I can't imagine there'd be much issue with using an Edge for walking. They're more optimised for cycling activities, but that doesn't mean they won't work on foot - I had mine for the 3PCX, and that's as much walking (or trudging!) as cycling.

The only issue would be the one that's present on all such GPS devices if you're wanting to be able to plot & navigate complex routes on the fly - you can't simultaneously get sufficient breadth of context and resolution on a small screen. That's pretty much the case for anything smaller than an actual OS map.
Apr 2021
8:00am, 17 Apr 2021
2,330 posts
  •  
Fenland Flier
My pedals don't have reflectors in them, do I need to change them?
Apr 2021
8:13am, 17 Apr 2021
237 posts
  •  
AJLB
If you're riding at night, yes you do. This can be tricky with clipless ones...
Apr 2021
8:57am, 17 Apr 2021
8,371 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Hello all, I would like to start cycling as unfortunately I am not fit enough to run at present - weight is in excess of 130kg. One thing I am concerned about if a bike frame can take my weight! I used to commute to work about 12 years ago and ride about 10-12 miles a day. But not been on a bike in over a decade.

I’m looking for a bike I can use for local rides on the roads and cycle paths round here of up to 30 miles in the evenings and at weekends. Not planning on doing any technical MB riding.

I’ve got a local bike shop in my village (which supposedly sells seconds - as in returned stock from other retailers and has iffy reviews by my colleague), or a Halfords nearby. Will need a helmet, lock and lights too I expect. Not got Cycle to work available to me at present.

Any suggestions on what type of bike is best - I’d like to get bike and kit for less than £400 all in.

Thanks in advance
Apr 2021
10:48am, 17 Apr 2021
46,415 posts
  •  
LindsD
OH, SS and I all have Giant hybrids that we love. Something like this

giant-bicycles.com

Not quite within your budget with helmet and lock but not far off.
Apr 2021
11:53am, 17 Apr 2021
8,372 posts
  •  
Too Much Water
Thanks - that looks a good option. The 2021 model is in stock at the bike shop 100m away, and I just about sneak under the upper weight limit.
Apr 2021
12:09pm, 17 Apr 2021
46,419 posts
  •  
LindsD
We have found them to be really solid useful bikes.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
If there’s a thread for this already, I haven’t seen it :-) But I thought it’d be good to have...