Cycling for Noobs

87 watchers
Jul 2022
10:20am, 6 Jul 2022
27,909 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
The only recurring puncture we've dealt with was on Katie's bike. Eventually, I found a shard of glass, no wider than a pin, and no more than 4-5mm long, that had worked its way through the tyre.

Whatever the cause Andy, I hope you get to the bottom of it. And well done to your bike shop for doing the right thing.
Jul 2022
11:15am, 6 Jul 2022
18,250 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Try this AL: purecycles.com

Thank you - and Flatlander - not so far had a puncture 🤞and haven't had my lesson in changing inner tubes from Mr AL!
Jul 2022
1:35pm, 6 Jul 2022
1,401 posts
  •  
AndyS
Thanks MudMeanderer.
I do try to do all of that, but doesn't seem to be working for me. It seems like it's going to be a fact of life for a big old lump of lard.

The combination of getting a flat every time I ride, with not being physically capable of changing a tube leaves me worried that every time I go out I'm going to get stranded somewhere, which puts me off going for longer rides.
Jul 2022
1:44pm, 6 Jul 2022
8,997 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
It sounds like the guys at your bike shop are really helpful Andy. Why not ask them for a bit of instruction?
Jul 2022
1:47pm, 6 Jul 2022
22,772 posts
  •  
Meglet
Something as simple as a different tyre lever can make the difference, I can’t do it with just one, I usually need to put the first one in and clip under a spoke then do a second.
Jul 2022
1:56pm, 6 Jul 2022
8,998 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Those tyre levers with hook ends are really useful for that, worth getting.
Jul 2022
1:58pm, 6 Jul 2022
36,262 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
Don't take this the wrong way, but how are you riding? Are you holding the bars really stiffly, and riding through potholes still weighting the saddle? The best sources of suspension on the road is your arms and legs, but if you're making your arms rigid or still in the saddle, they can't work. If you're not doing so, practice standing up lightly and bending your elbows whenever you may have to ride through a broken section of road. The bike will bounce around, but should hopefully become less susceptible to pinch flats. It should also be more comfortable for you (if slightly more tiring at first)

That's very useful, thanks MM. I *never* get out of the saddle. I should try this.
Jul 2022
2:25pm, 6 Jul 2022
1,403 posts
  •  
AndyS
Something as simple as a different tyre lever can make the difference, I can’t do it with just one, I usually need to put the first one in and clip under a spoke then do a second.

I've tried several different levers - I couldn't get any of them between the tyre and the rim. I can't get to the point that any lever is going to be of use. If I can get to that point, then I can manage - but if I can't, then I can't.

Seriously considering getting it set up to run tubeless, but I'm worried that just means swapping one known problem for a whole bunch of other unknown ones.
Jul 2022
6:04pm, 6 Jul 2022
22,774 posts
  •  
Meglet
Tubeless tyres are well known for being a pain to get on and off but if you’re constantly puncturing it should help. I have them but you never know how many punctures you’ve avoided! You can run a lower pressure and won’t get pinch flats. I’ve also got a tool to punch a rubber worm through a hole if it’s too big to seal, which is very easy to carry.
Jul 2022
6:14pm, 6 Jul 2022
2,523 posts
  •  
Flatlander
AndyS Once your inner tube is completely deflated, it should be possible to use your fingers and thumbs to push the tyre beads inwards away from the rim. Once a few inches/centimetres are off, the rest should follow easily.
If your hands won't let you do this, there is a little tool which greatly reduces the strength required. cyclepal.co.uk Similar tools are available.

I see from the Fetchpoint map that you are sometimes up near my way (Cambridge). Next time, let me know and I'll try to meet you and have a look at your tyres and hopefully give you some tips.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
If there’s a thread for this already, I haven’t seen it :-) But I thought it’d be good to have...