Cycling for Noobs

87 watchers
Jul 2022
7:51am, 3 Jul 2022
2,253 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
A lot of brands are now going to 650s on the smaller frames. It makes sense, as you don't need to stretch the bike out to fit the wheels in, and can avoid toe overlap issues. With the growth of gravel bikes (which often couple smaller wheels with huge tyres, even on larger frames), it's now much easier to get hold of them. It's one advantage of disc brakes - it's much easier to switch rim size without having to match brake track diameter.

I recall Emma Pooley discussing it on a film about her hand built bike. Even years before that, I believe she won her TT worlds on a bike with 650s
Jul 2022
8:58pm, 5 Jul 2022
2,254 posts
  •  
FurryH
I had issues getting marathon plus tyres onto my ribble. I bought a BBB Easy Tyre Fitting Tool and it makes it a lot easier to get the tyre on than tyre levers. Keep it in my paniers when out and about.
Jul 2022
8:56am, 6 Jul 2022
1,399 posts
  •  
AndyS
Took my troublesome tyre to the LBS yesterday morning - chap just pulled it off with his hands like it was nothing, so I'm still none the wiser as to what I was doing wrong.
Looks like it was yet another pinch flat. (I'm running about 90psi)
He replaced my rim tape, fitted a new tube. I took it home, put the wheel back on, went for a ride ... and 500m later had *another* flat. So that's 3 in 3 rides.
Went back to LBS, and they put another tube in it for me - and then wouldn't let me pay for it!
So a big shout out to Limehouse Bicycle Company limehousebicyclecompany.co.uk for fantastic service, and a big boooo to inner tubes.
Jul 2022
9:05am, 6 Jul 2022
11,343 posts
  •  
lammo
Are you sure you don't have anything in the tyre?
Jul 2022
9:24am, 6 Jul 2022
1,400 posts
  •  
AndyS
They checked the tyre thoroughly both times - didn't find anything. All appear to be 'snakebite'-style pinch flats.
Jul 2022
10:09am, 6 Jul 2022
2,254 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
Don't take this the wrong way, but how are you riding? Are you holding the bars really stiffly, and riding through potholes still weighting the saddle?

The best sources of suspension on the road is your arms and legs, but if you're making your arms rigid or still in the saddle, they can't work. If you're not doing so, practice standing up lightly and bending your elbows whenever you may have to ride through a broken section of road. The bike will bounce around, but should hopefully become less susceptible to pinch flats. It should also be more comfortable for you (if slightly more tiring at first)
Jul 2022
10:10am, 6 Jul 2022
18,248 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Forgive mu ignorance - what is a pinch flat?
Jul 2022
10:10am, 6 Jul 2022
18,249 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
*my*
Jul 2022
10:18am, 6 Jul 2022
27,908 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Try this AL:

purecycles.com
Jul 2022
10:19am, 6 Jul 2022
2,522 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Autumnleaves A pinch flat is when an inner tube and a tyre are being refitted to a wheel rim and the inner tube gets caught, "pinched", between the tyre bead and the edge of the wheel rim.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
If there’s a thread for this already, I haven’t seen it :-) But I thought it’d be good to have...