Cushioned Trail Shoes

13 watchers
Apr 2022
7:00pm, 26 Apr 2022
1,554 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Peregrine ST are soft terrain and feel the same as Peregrines for fit but have longer studs - 6.5 mm IIRC. They are really great except when they have no grip at all on wet smooth granite. Can't understand that, as Peregrines grip well in the same conditions. Perhaps it's the addition of carbon black to the rubber?

Since I last wrote on the thread I am a big fan of NB Fresh Foam More Trail v1 and so far they seem to have great grip everywhere and are also OK for road to trail.
Apr 2022
7:10pm, 26 Apr 2022
5,083 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Synge - in case you dont know, Speedgoat 5 is newly out now, reviews are it's an improvement, but you'll probably be able to pick up v4 at discount if that's a factor.

Another shoe I've seen good reviews of, but not tested, is the VJ Ultra, and I'm also interested in the new NB Hierro v5 which has a big weight saving on v4, but very limited reviews so far.
Apr 2022
8:07pm, 26 Apr 2022
1,293 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I have both speedgoat 4 and 5.
5 is a little stiffer, but still a soft and nice shoe. And the grip is really good.
The small changes are nice.
Aug 2022
6:00pm, 27 Aug 2022
9,084 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Just thought I'd post a quick note to those that are interested: Has anyone tried the Hierro v7 yet? They are a quantum improvement on previous versions and I was a big fan of those. They're more cushioned, more comfortable and even more stable. Highly subjective I know, but these might be the best long-distance trail shoes I've ever known (and I've tried a few).

Recommended. ******
Nov 2023
9:50am, 13 Nov 2023
9,881 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Just kicking this thread into life a bit ....

Has anyone tried the new Salomon Thundercross yet? They get great reviews and I have a pair sitting here that I really don't know what to do with. They are the first pair of Salomon shoes I've tried that actually have the width to fit me, yet they feel extremely low at the rear despite and advertised 4mm drop. They feel very strange to my feet and sadly, I think they're going to have to go back :-(
Nov 2023
1:40pm, 13 Nov 2023
3,611 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
No, but since the last post I am trying: Hierro v6 GTX, which are heavyish but do the road/trail job in wet weather, and Saucony Exodus Ultra, which is a great comfy, bouncy, grippy trail shoe, and could be had quite cheaply now that v2 is out.
Nov 2023
1:50pm, 13 Nov 2023
9,882 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Hierro is a great shoe and I think that's where I'll be going next for the v8. I did buy a pair of the Hierro v7 and have done well over 700 miles in them.
Nov 2023
1:58pm, 13 Nov 2023
3,614 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Good to know. I need to run more miles (or scuff my feet more) 😀
3 Jan
9:07pm, 3 Jan 2024
469 posts
  •  
folkieboater
Sorry to resurrect an old thread…

Does anyone have any recommendations…I’m after trail/grippy shoes for mud that are also good on tarmac/gravel for just slightly muddy towpaths and the odd pavement. They need to also be well cushioned as I over pronate (road shoes are Asics GT1000). I’ve been using an old pair of Asics trail shoes, but whilst they are good for the really muddy bits, my feet and knees hurt after the harder parts. The problem is the towpaths round here range from hard to mud and everything in between - and the perfect runs are half road hale towpath. I’m doing between 5 and 10k.

Thanks in advance.
3 Jan
9:44pm, 3 Jan 2024
3,930 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
No problem. Keeping old threads going is what we do. I suggest Saucony Ride TR in whatever generation you find, so long as you don't expect much mud.

About This Thread

Maintained by smoke free
I did a massive trail run yesterday. Because we've had no rain I work my super cushioned road shoes. There's about 6 miles of tarmac in the 31 mile route.

Today. Tired, natch, but no foot pain.

Got me thinking, should I think about changing from my Inov8 Roclite trailies and go for some with cushioning?

Thoughts?