Cushioned Trail Shoes

13 watchers
Dec 2021
11:03pm, 10 Dec 2021
921 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
I'm tempted to try those next, Unsafe Breadbin. Challenger is another of my favourite shoes (but they don't lend themselves to spikes). I want to try out another cushioned road to trail shoe just for interest. Due to winter conditions this could be next spring.
Dec 2021
4:39pm, 27 Dec 2021
994 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
Just to mention that everything is going well with spikes from best-grip.se screwed into Saucony Mad River TR. I have about 270 km on the spikes, most of that on roads and trails bare of snow. They just give me extra confidence where there is an accumulation of hoar frost and the occasional solid puddle.
Dec 2021
5:04pm, 27 Dec 2021
702 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Good to hear NSR.
I’ve gone back to my asics fujisetsu, added an extra inner sole, but that took me over the edge size wise, so now they hurt my toes a little bit.
Oh well, I soon need an other pair anyway, and then I will go up a size.

It’s so nice to have spikes, I ran completely confident slightly uphill for about 200m over pure ice that have formed on the trail.
Dec 2021
9:00pm, 27 Dec 2021
2,152 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Fan of asics fujisetsu here too Bowman👍
Also Salomon SpeedSpike (and SpikeCross) and inov-8 275 arctic talon.
Dec 2021
9:30am, 28 Dec 2021
703 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Sailorsteve, the inov-8 is really thin right?

I just screwed some spikes in my speedgoats, I had some old spikes laying around from before. Rusty and old, but I think they will do.
It’s not the “best grip” kind.
So what kit did you buy NordRunner?

There are a few different ones, and the ones that are shortest seems to be the nicest ones for trail shoes? 3030 kit?
Dec 2021
10:04am, 28 Dec 2021
8,333 posts
  •  
Hark the Northern Exile
I wouldn't say the Artic Talon is especially thin (it's based on the old X-Claw 275), but that's somewhat arbitrary as they're no longer manufactured. The replacement for the X-claw is the x-talon ultra 260 and it would be easy enough to screw spikes into them.
Dec 2021
10:13am, 28 Dec 2021
997 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
No, I think I had the equivalent of the Best-grip 3000 kit, which consisted of two lengths of spike and an insertion tool. In fact, this set was included in the price of the Saucony shoes I bought, and it had an extra Saucony label in the packaging. There must be an agreement between the companies.

I would probably buy the same spikes as a refill pack if I needed a new set. This comes without the mounting tool. For different shoes I would look at the lug length first and choose a spike with enough stick-out. For example, shoes with 5mm lugs would probably do better with longer spikes.
Dec 2021
10:26am, 28 Dec 2021
2,153 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
I agree with N Exile, I don’t find the Talon noticeably ‘thin’ but I guess the uppers are less substantial than the Speedspikes or Fujis.

I always wear sealskinz waterproof socks over thin running socks when I run in ice/snow spikes, so I don’t really notice the difference.
Dec 2021
12:10pm, 28 Dec 2021
706 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Ok, N Ex, thanks!
NSR, ok I see. Well I meant the stick-out from the threads. Maybe you to.
On my old ones. There’s kind of a sleeve after the thread and then the hard metal stud. They are also thin/narrow threads which leaves quite a bit out of the shoe, and that makes them flex a bit and becomes less gripping, I noticed this on the same sheet of ice today. I think this one 3030:
is the one for me.
Less “flex”.
I think you have these:

Well I’ll use the ones I have for now.
Apr 2022
6:30pm, 26 Apr 2022
45,261 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
Great thread! Thanks to all contributors.

I wear x-claw 275s when I need something quite aggressive, but I do not find them particularly supportive (although better than the x-talon 212 which I only use for short distances of up to around 10k) and they are not comfortable on any road or hard stretches.

For support and a more intermediate shoe which will be OK for road stretches, I wear Brooks Cascadias. I've gone through four pairs in about five years and I am worrying a bit about robustness, as I am only getting about 300 miles out of a pair before my toes start to go through the webbing on the upper front.

I need some new shoes for trail marathons/ultras, so they have to be comfortable over long distances (and OK on sections of road or other tarmac).

Before I buy yet more Cascadias, I want to try other contenders. From this thread, I've got the Hoka Speedgoat 4 on my list so far. And the Saucony Peregrine 12 (or 12 ST - what's the difference?). Should I add anything else to the shortlist?

About This Thread

Maintained by smoke free
I did a massive trail run yesterday. Because we've had no rain I work my super cushioned road shoes. There's about 6 miles of tarmac in the 31 mile route.

Today. Tired, natch, but no foot pain.

Got me thinking, should I think about changing from my Inov8 Roclite trailies and go for some with cushioning?

Thoughts?