•  
Northern Exile
Ditto
Nov 2021
3:39pm, 30 Nov 2021
40,364 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've run in some pretty gnarly stuff, here in Scotland and in Norway. And for a good few hours. But perhaps not as gnarly or as long as you chaps. So I defer! :-) G
Nov 2021
3:47pm, 30 Nov 2021
583 posts
  •  
Bowman
Maybe you have HR, but maybe you like stiffer/harder shoes as well? :)
And that’s alright of course:)
Today I ran some 10 k trail in a foot of snow.
Fujisetsu worked fine for that :)
Dec 2021
3:43pm, 1 Dec 2021
907 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Further to smoke free's original question, I'd like to recommend also the Saucony Mad River TR2. The first version was very comfortable for trails, and the second version has 5mm more and better cushioning. The tread is similar to the Peregrine but the shoe feels lighter, softer and more flexible. It is slightly wider. If I don't need a rock plate or high protection for an outing then it is a favourite trail shoe.

For Bowman 🇸🇪 this shoe has places marked on the soles for spikes and optionally can be bought with spikes in a separate packet in Scandinavia. They are easily installed and in fact are supplied to Saucony by www.best-grip.se. I tried the spikes out for the first time today and had a fantastic trail run in a thin layer of snow with ice in the occasional frozen puddle underneath. I felt totally secure. When you install you can fine-tune the amount of carbide spike that is higher than the shoe's tread. Less than 1 mm is fine. The shoe totally keeps its great cushioned ride and flexibility from front to back. I actually preferred these to other shoes where spikes come built in.
Dec 2021
4:24pm, 1 Dec 2021
40,399 posts
  •  
Merry Christmas and Happy NewG(rrr)
Wow Steve, that's a great review, I'm going to start looking at trail shoes with spikes in them.

Bowman, you are right, I chose to actively try and run in non-cushioned shoes 10 years ago, when "minimal" was a bit of a fad. So I'm probably an outlier! :-) G
Dec 2021
4:46pm, 1 Dec 2021
588 posts
  •  
Bowman
Sounds Interesting Steve!
I just bought ice bug Arcus gtx.
They apparently have dynamic spikes that protrude in and out a bit.
And these are for hard surfaces more than trail. Like paved roads and gravel.
Haven’t got them yet, but will give a review wen I’ve tried them out.

Go tur :) (Nordic language)
Dec 2021
5:35pm, 1 Dec 2021
126 posts
  •  
smoke free
Wow. A lot to digest here, thank you everyone. Now, if only there was a running shoe shop anywhere near I could go and try some!
Dec 2021
8:45am, 7 Dec 2021
625 posts
  •  
Santa Bowman 🎅🏻
Well the ice bug arcus bugrip GTX, was nowhere near the information material..
“Like running on clouds” nope, very stiff and firm shoe.
“Rocker to propel you forward” not at all.

They feel like a old pair of walking sneakers.

Only somewhat good thing is that you don’t feel the spikes even on tarmac, but that’s about it.
I haven decided yet if I will keep them.
Dec 2021
8:52pm, 10 Dec 2021
128 posts
  •  
smoke free
I'm a contrary fecker. After much deliberation I've ordered another pair of inov8s as I went for a 28 mile run, including a fair chunk of tarmac and felt absolutely fine! I am on my umpteenth pair. As you were!
Dec 2021
9:45pm, 10 Dec 2021
5 posts
  •  
Unsafe Breadbin
NB More Trail v2 for me. Ran in the v1s for 800+ miles until the uppers finally gave way through peat rottage.

v2s have a new vibram outsole. different lug pattern but most importantly, bags of cushioning for really long trail runs or a combination of trail and road.

Definitely a lower level shoe though, wouldn't try anything too "fell" or technical in them as the stack height is comparable to Hoka's Challenger.

About This Thread

Maintained by smoke free
I did a massive trail run yesterday. Because we've had no rain I work my super cushioned road shoes. There's about 6 miles of tarmac in the 31 mile route.

Today. Tired, natch, but no foot pain.

Got me thinking, should I think about changing from my Inov8 Roclite trailies and go for some with cushioning?

Thoughts?