Cushioned Trail Shoes

13 watchers
Nov 2021
11:27am, 29 Nov 2021
896 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
I had the first Speedgoat and in the end sold them on because they were narrow, even up a size. If I didn't have a cupboard full of other trail shoes I would definitely try them again, but in a normal size with wide fitting.
Nov 2021
11:29am, 29 Nov 2021
760 posts
  •  
The Mussile
Hoka Speedgoats wreck my feet on the instep at the front of the arch. Even the wider ones don't work for me unfortunately as I love the concept
Nov 2021
11:30am, 29 Nov 2021
570 posts
  •  
Bowman
I wonder i i have the wide type, cus i think mine are wider than usual :)
But also i always buy my running shoes about 1cm bigger than my everyday shoes. Maybe that contributes.
Nov 2021
12:21pm, 29 Nov 2021
1,004 posts
  •  
Sam Jelfs
Hoka Evo Mafate for me, I have the Mafate Speed 3(?) also, but I prefer the Evo version. Last pair I wore until the soles were pretty much smooth.
Nov 2021
5:30pm, 29 Nov 2021
572 posts
  •  
Bowman
Well maybe not a trail shoe per see, but I just bought a pair of ice bugs Arcus bugrip GTX, for the wintery roads. Apparently a cushioned shoe with some spikes.
My normal ASICS fujisetsu with spikes is just a little to stiff and thin for harder roads.

Shall be interesting to try out.
Nov 2021
11:50pm, 29 Nov 2021
898 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Yeah, interesting. I had loads of life from Icebug MR2 from years back that were surprisingly cushioned, too. If anyone hesitates buying spiked shoes simply because they might feel as hard as rock then that would be a pity - they are not.
Nov 2021
9:33am, 30 Nov 2021
40,355 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I use Kahtoola nano and micro spikes over my normal trail shoes. You don't need cushioning when you are running in snow and ice, surely?! Only need cushioning on tarmac, concrete or very hard packed trail (artificial surfaces). All natural surfaces have quite enough give in them?

But maybe don't ask me as I mostly run in uncushioned shoes and have done from quite early on in running life. :-) G
Nov 2021
10:16am, 30 Nov 2021
575 posts
  •  
Bowman
I the case of wanting cushioning, first, i like it. Second, i run on frozen tarmac, gravel roads and what not, then it's really hard with thin spiked shoes.
In the woods it's ok with my Asics fujisetsu, but on frozen tarmac, not so much.
I know it's considered kind of cool to run in hard or thin shoes, shorts when it's freezing out, and no light in the dark. ;)
But i like soft shoes and i stand for that :)
Nov 2021
10:30am, 30 Nov 2021
900 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
It depends on the history of the snow HG! The toughest surface I ever run across is a substantial amount of old trail-snow that has been trampled for weeks, maybe with a bit of softening or melting. Imagine an almost-set new concrete path that was repeatedly run over by a crowd. It gets incredibly knobbly yet polished smooth. Only spikes work, and those are still pretty dodgy! Spikes with a chain-and-spike framework in those conditions can feel incredibly hard and are very tough on the ankles. Cushioned built-in spikes are not quite as bad.
Nov 2021
1:01pm, 30 Nov 2021
577 posts
  •  
Bowman
Yes ⏫

About This Thread

Maintained by smoke free
I did a massive trail run yesterday. Because we've had no rain I work my super cushioned road shoes. There's about 6 miles of tarmac in the 31 mile route.

Today. Tired, natch, but no foot pain.

Got me thinking, should I think about changing from my Inov8 Roclite trailies and go for some with cushioning?

Thoughts?