Crunchy Achilles

4 watchers
Feb 2013
8:58am, 19 Feb 2013
3,251 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
I have a crunchy achilles. I can feel it crunching / rubbing when I walk. You can also feel it if you put your hand on my achilles and I move my foot. It's quite sore too. I certainly can't run, and am limping a bit.

What's the best treatment for this? Arnica? Voltarol gel? Deep Freeze? Ibuprofen gel? Something else entirely?

Any advice would be appreciated as I've never had an injury like this before.

Currently I've put some Voltarol on it and an ankle support. Trying not to walk much as well.
Feb 2013
9:01am, 19 Feb 2013
15,080 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
No expert, but crunchy always makes me think teno-synovitis.
Rest and voltarol/brufen. Proper rest too, non of this 'gentle 5 miler' kind of rest. We used to splint this when I was in A/E.

Somebody will be along to cry bullshit soon, but that's what it sounds like to me.
Feb 2013
9:09am, 19 Feb 2013
3,252 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
Thank you. I shall be resting until the crunching subsides at the very least.
Feb 2013
10:02am, 19 Feb 2013
10,881 posts
  •  
Naomi P
I've been sidelined by a creaky Achilles for 5+ weeks now. Just resting won't fix it but running on it will make it worse. You need

- icing at the outset, ibuprofen gel won't hurt
- massage / foam rollering
- stretching both the soleus and the gastroc
- wear supportive shoes and no heels, I put insoles in my normal winter boots
- ideally physio (I've been having really deep, bruising massage and acupuncture)
- gradually introduce strengthening exercises for the gastroc and soleus, ie. straight leg and bent knee calf raises

Running on a treadmill is a lot easier on it, running on mud really bad as slipping around stresses the Achilles in all directions. Avoid hills and speed.

Hope it heals soon, it's been a total pain in the arse for me. I've missed a few races, my mileage has gone to shit and I feel like a sack of spuds.

It's very slow to heal because of the poor blood supply, but work on both the Achilles and the calves will help.
Feb 2013
10:23am, 19 Feb 2013
1,941 posts
  •  
ReturnoftheJuddi
Yikes WL, that sounds nasty :(

Hope you heal soon.
Feb 2013
10:45am, 19 Feb 2013
3,253 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
Oh geez...this could be a challenge... I fly to NZ in less than a week, and have a marathon in less than three (it shouldn't be muddy). Gaaaaaaahhhhhhh. Oh, and the only heels I am going to wear are wedding ones.
Feb 2013
11:13am, 19 Feb 2013
10,883 posts
  •  
Naomi P
It's a real shitter, and bad timing for you WL. I'm no physio but I would say your marathon may be in doubt but I'm sure you'll be able to wear your wedding heels (and this is more important, no?). Champagne and some ibuprofen will deal with the pain.

If anyone has some positive experience with Achilles injuries, now is the time to speak up.
Feb 2013
11:32am, 19 Feb 2013
6,939 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
Oh dear. If it helps to hear and feel more positive, I had achilles problems before my first marathon.I wore flat shoes, rested from running for 2 weeks, iced 3 times a day + maximum ibuporfen dose and had physio and acupuncture. I was fine for my marathon, and have had no problems since.
Feb 2013
11:48am, 19 Feb 2013
3,254 posts
  •  
Wine Legs
I don't know if I can take ibuprofen, as I take citalopram and the doc advised not to take ibu at the same time - anyone have any advice on this?

I am hoping Winkle's story holds true for me...
Feb 2013
11:52am, 19 Feb 2013
10,884 posts
  •  
Naomi P
That's postive Winkle :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Wine Legs
I have a crunchy achilles. I can feel it crunching / rubbing when I walk. You can also feel it if ...