Cross training with shin splints

1 watcher
Feb 2016
1:47pm, 11 Feb 2016
37 posts
  •  
Fat Tulip
So towards the end of Jan I started getting a niggly pain in my lower left leg. I ran through it and it would normally come on after a few miles and then be ok again. Last Mon I did an exercise class where we did a lot of jumping around, which I think aggravated it, as it was a bit achey on Tue and Wed and especially in another class when I was doing the backward motion of mountain climbers.

I tried running last Thurs, did 3 miles and it was a bit painful so decided to rest. On Sunday I gave running a go again, felt fine at first and then had strong pains after 3 miles, but unfortunately had to keep going for the 3 miles back home - after the first three miles, I did a bit of walking and stretching and then it subsided to just a bit of an ache.

So I did more resting, and tried again this morning - with the result that it was fine til about 2 miles and then hurt.

I'm assuming that this is just some sort of shin splint/ overuse thing and will be fine after some rest. Two questions, really:
1) How much more rest would you give it? I thought four days would be plenty but clearly not.
2) What kind of cross training can I do that won't aggravate it? I assume any non-impact cardio is fine, but what about strength stuff? Googling has given me very different opinions on whether squats, lunges etc will make it worse or not. Also, is stretchy stuff like yoga/ pilates ok, or will the leg parts/ balancing on one leg or similar be bad?
Feb 2016
2:09pm, 11 Feb 2016
613 posts
  •  
PinchyII
I guess it depends on how long you have been running and if this is a new thing. I had shin splints when I upped my mileage considerably a few years back and body hadn't adjusted to it.

I suggest Gait Analysis from a running shop to see what trainers you need because if you are over - pronating then this would cause shin splints so proper trainers to counteract this should help, or even Gel soles if you can't afford to get expensive trainers would help.

Bike or Swim is fine for shin splints and what I switched to more of when I couldn't run as much as I wanted.
Feb 2016
3:14pm, 11 Feb 2016
39 posts
  •  
Fat Tulip
Thanks. I've been running for three and a half years, and can't remember the last time I had this. My shoes are proper running ones and haven't changed style for ages so I don't think it's that.

I don't have a bike (but could do some in the gym) or access to a pool so other options would be good.
Feb 2016
9:20am, 12 Feb 2016
41 posts
  •  
Fat Tulip
Any other opinions on strength training with shin splints? Or about this kind of ballet barre type stuff? darebee.com

I'm guessing anything standing on one leg should be avoided?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Tulip
So towards the end of Jan I started getting a niggly pain in my lower left leg. I ran through it and...