Cross Country Shoes Vs Trail Shoes

2 watchers
Dec 2012
12:53pm, 8 Dec 2012
76 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
WTKOCA - Not good ... Its bad enough being covered in mud up to your knees without diving head first into it. Ouch.
SPR
Dec 2012
1:33pm, 8 Dec 2012
17,725 posts
  •  
SPR
I don't see how standard trail shoes like the Asics can work on XC.

I have the X-talon 195s and some new balance spikes, the spike are better when it is really muddy (due to length change). They are probably equal in dry to wet (but not muddy/soft) conditions.

I've used downhills to my advantage in spikes and XC/fell shoes. I don't think that's a shoe issue, more a runner's strengths/weaknesses issue.
SPR
Dec 2012
1:39pm, 8 Dec 2012
17,726 posts
  •  
SPR
That should say (but not really muddy/soft).
Dec 2012
6:19pm, 8 Dec 2012
82 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
Cheers SPR. It really does sound like it's all down to preference. I'm tempted to buy some cheap spikes and see how I get on. I don't really want to pay out a fortune and not get on with them. Catch 22 though, cheap ones might be crap, but might pay a fortune for decent ones and hate them ... (Argh!)
Dec 2012
6:24pm, 8 Dec 2012
14,727 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
For once (lol) I agree entirely with SPR, at today's parkrun my footwear seemed spot on when running at 9 minute/mile pace but my technique/form was shown up and was like bambi on ice when running at sub-7 minute/mile pace, I guess the problem was 'pushing-off'
Dec 2012
6:36pm, 8 Dec 2012
1,870 posts
  •  
ndellar
I've always found the Innov8 Mudclaws to be really good. I'm not quick, but I've never felt them let me down with grip.

Seen a few club mates have injuries after spikes (of course there could be 1001 other reasons...). Spikes are supposed to give much better grip but I've never run in them.

Love the fact I can do so much in the mudclaws, including my general runs when there is snow on the ground etc. If I do hit a half mile of hard track or pavement it doesn't matter.
Dec 2012
6:42pm, 8 Dec 2012
14,728 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
ndellar, I've mudrocs, flites and roclites, but mudclaws are an Inov-8 brand I've not tried
Dec 2012
6:43pm, 8 Dec 2012
83 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
Ndellar - They do sound pretty good - do you use them much in the Summer.

Fenland Runner & SPR - Do you tend to use your spikes much in the summer or is it only really Winter / XC season?
Dec 2012
6:52pm, 8 Dec 2012
1,871 posts
  •  
ndellar
I do use my mudclaws in the summer, in my area we have some summer off road midweek races, and if there has been a lot of rain and a boggy course I would bring them out. For me they are more of a winter shoe though.

FR - they are good....I see some folks on our courses doing XC in Roclites and Mudrocs but the soles on those don't look aggressive enough for me.

inov-8.com
Dec 2012
6:52pm, 8 Dec 2012
14,350 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
The thing about spikes is that you can only use them on soft terrain. Trail shoes or fell shoes you can easily cross a road if its in the way of your middle of nowhere ambitions. If you had spikes on then you would have to hobble over on your heels or take them off.
Spikes also require a well developed forefoot/midfoot technique, you'll quickly get into trouble if you heel strike as there is very little grip and almost no cushioning.

You'll get a lot of use out of fell shoes, spikes are just for XC (or track). Locally the only people I see in spikes are the very keen XCers, and a few kids who are possibly wearing hand me downs.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunnyRunRun
Hope this isn't too much of a stupid question ... (probably not a good start:) but what's the diff...