Cross Country Shoes Vs Trail Shoes

2 watchers
Dec 2012
11:22am, 7 Dec 2012
66 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
Hope this isn't too much of a stupid question ... (probably not a good start:) but what's the difference between shoes you would wear for cross country and trail? I've got a pair of trail shoes (Asics Lahar) but the only real difference between those and my road shoes is a bit more waterproofing and a bit more grip. .. And where do spikes come into it? Help!

I've run a couple of cross country races recently (Coombe 8 and English National XC Relays) but was slipping all over the place!
Dec 2012
11:55am, 7 Dec 2012
3,561 posts
  •  
Kieren
I find spikes shed the mud better. The trail shoes I had would clog up or even if the did shed mud, couldn't grip deep enough to stop slipping. They my core would have to work super hard to balance and I burn out.

If you are getting spikes, get XC spikes or middle distance running spikes as a 2nd choice. A lot of people at my club have though all are the same and have rocked up with sprint spikes which have a stiff sole and are designed for running on the toes

Spike are not great if you will be covering tarmac or stoney trails as part of the course.
Dec 2012
12:03pm, 7 Dec 2012
3,947 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
In answer to your question.

Trail/Fell shoes usually have moulded studs or "lugs" whereas XC spikes have great big metal sharp bits stick out of the bottom.

Personally I think XC spikes are uncessary. In my experience, you can get by and run just as fast with good fell shoes as you would with spikes. Plus Spikes introduce extra stress onto the calf and achilles when you run in them, increasing the risk of injury (for me). And you might only wear them half a dozen times a year. In addition, half of the XC races I do always have some element of rocky area or metalled track or similar, where spikes just aren't useful and actually are a detriment.

A fell or good trail shoe (one with actual lugs on the bottom) you would be able to use for both trail running and XC. If you want something cheap, have a look at the Mizuno Wave Harrier.

Having said all of this, I am considering getting some spikes, because unfortunately the West Yorks XC have very boring "traditional" XC courses, which is mostly running around playing fields and parks, where spikes may add a slight advantage (if they don't injure me). I'm just trying to decide whether wearing them about 4 times a year makes it worthwhile in terms of cost.
Dec 2012
1:08pm, 7 Dec 2012
14,335 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
If you just want to do a few XC races you will be fine in your trail shoes. Most people will be wearing something similar.
Spikes are only for the serious, and although more aggressive fell or heavily lugged trail shoes might help, you wont go far wrong in trail shoes.
Dec 2012
1:17pm, 7 Dec 2012
69 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
That's really, really helpful ... thank you so much! :)

For the Coombe 8 which was an 8 mile course on mainly fields and trails, I used road shoes (yep shoot me) but used those ice grip things (that pensioners use in the snow) that just slip over the toes and heels, but they ended up cutting off the circulation to my toes. Although the freezing water meant that I didn't have a lot of feeling in my feet to begin with.

I'll have a look at some trail shoes with bigger lugs then for the winter and for the races - thanks JohnnyO and RF Fozzy.

Kieran - Do you use spikes for just the longer races or for the short XCs too? I'm not sure whether to invest in some or not.
Dec 2012
3:53pm, 7 Dec 2012
20,034 posts
  •  
Dave A
I did Coombe last year in slippy conditions in fell shoes and they worked just fine. I've always worn either trail or fell shoes for XC with no grip or clogging up with md issues. It probably helps that I run off road at times other than XC so get good use from them away from XC.
Dec 2012
4:41pm, 7 Dec 2012
3,562 posts
  •  
Kieren
Runny, the XC races I have done have been mostly standard 8KM with the odd 12 - 15KM.

I got mine for about £35 years ago and also use them on the track so I feel like I got moneys worth. I've seen pairs online from about £20

If you are running in a club league, it is probably best to ask them what the courses are like.

I have limited experience in both types of shoe though - 1 pair of xc spikes and ym trail shoes are walshes
Dec 2012
5:01pm, 7 Dec 2012
1,182 posts
  •  
Lisa T
I much prefer fell shoes over spikes. You've got lugs on the heels as well, so for decending I find they're a better option as which was evident in my last xc race as I nearly plowed into the back of some tip toe-ing spike wearers down the hills. It's a personal preference thing though as I know loads of people prefer spikes. My achilles, feet & calves hate them though
Dec 2012
10:42am, 8 Dec 2012
75 posts
  •  
RunnyRunRun
That's really helpful!! Thank you so much! (Goes off to start shopping ;)
Dec 2012
11:16am, 8 Dec 2012
7,149 posts
  •  
We Three Kings of Caterpill Are
Some of the XC courses in the Surrey league are serious slippery mudfests. 12mm spikes essential. Well, not absolutely essential, but a whole lot easier and safer.

Last season I did one in trail shoes and went arse over tit on one sharp corner.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunnyRunRun
Hope this isn't too much of a stupid question ... (probably not a good start:) but what's the diff...