Cross Country Shoes Vs Trail Shoes

2 watchers
Dec 2012
6:55pm, 8 Dec 2012
1,187 posts
  •  
Lisa T
There were some bits in todays very boggy xc race, where because I had mudclaws on I could escape the bog-fest & run on a nice path. I couldn't have done that in spikes! I have to say though even my mudclaws struggled with the amount of mud today!
Dec 2012
6:56pm, 8 Dec 2012
14,351 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
You can also get shoes with metal dobbs buried in rubber studs if you feel the need. I have some O-Rocs that feature this, but I only wear them in the snow and ice.
compasspoint-online.co.uk

They are linked to orienteering, where I guess the extra grip must be useful.
Dec 2012
6:58pm, 8 Dec 2012
14,729 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
I use my spikes only in Summer on the local grass track.
Dec 2012
7:13pm, 8 Dec 2012
3,963 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I am tempted to get some O-rocs for orienteering. They are supposed to be quite good.
Dec 2012
7:37pm, 8 Dec 2012
14,352 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I have the heavy ones Fozzy. 340s I think. The mudclaw ones are probably better. for someone seedy like you I think there are some that are like x-talons too.
Nothing beats them on snow and ice, though you do tend to clatter a bit on the tarmac.
SPR
Dec 2012
8:10pm, 8 Dec 2012
17,731 posts
  •  
SPR
RRR - I do track racing during spring/summer, so I wear spikes then as well. I use different new balance ones for track racing, although there is nothing stopping you from using XC spikes for both.

The X-talons also come in handy when pavements are covered in snow or the icy aftermath of snow.

Lol FR, first time for everything ;-)

Lisa - that's cheating ;-)
Dec 2012
9:42am, 10 Dec 2012
1,191 posts
  •  
Lisa T
Hey, I needed all the help I could get! :-)
I like the look of the x-talons but have achilles probs & they don't have a cut out for achilles do they? I was worried they might make my achilles worse.
Dec 2012
8:13pm, 20 Dec 2012
10 posts
  •  
burb
I use X-Talons 212 for XC and Fell races, have pretty much ran in all conditions and have yet to slip. I took the plunge after twisting my ankle reguarly in my Asics Trail shoes due to the high(ish) heel. Not had a problem since switching to the Inov-8s.

(Touch wood)!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunnyRunRun
Hope this isn't too much of a stupid question ... (probably not a good start:) but what's the diff...