Criminally underrated - Colworth Marathon Challenge

9 watchers
Apr 2016
8:54pm, 9 Apr 2016
1,480 posts
  •  
macapple
Hello all,

I've been toying with the idea of this for a few years now but have only ever done the 5 mile race. However, I have a "big" birthday this year and my aim was to complete my first marathon this year but I am very unmarathon fit at the moment so this may be the closest I will get!

I'm wondering if anyone who has done this has any advise on how to train for one of these events? I currently run 5k 2-3 times a week (increasing to 10k and beyond once a week from now on and whatever else I can fit in), swim twice a week, and dog walk daily (1.5-2 miles). I have completed 4 half marathons but haven't raced competitively in a few years.

Main aim is just to finish the 3 days, hopeful aim to finish in a time roughly equal to a marathon time!
Apr 2016
5:06pm, 10 Apr 2016
3,969 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Hiya. I've done this twice now macapple. Didn't really train for it TBH. I would say as long as you're up to half marathon distance you'll be fine. I'd suggest maybe over a 3 day period do a say a 3 mile
Followed by a 6 followed by grafham water (9)
Apr 2016
8:00pm, 10 Apr 2016
1,481 posts
  •  
macapple
Excellent, thank you.

Btw, random question! Do you have a cockapoo and are you a member of a cockapoo facebook group? I think I've seen you on there, my pup is 7 months old.
Apr 2016
9:00pm, 10 Apr 2016
3,970 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Yeah !!! That's me and my Woody !!! What colours yours? Woodys 1 in May
Apr 2016
9:01pm, 10 Apr 2016
3,971 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
He will be coming to colworth I plan on camping with caravan all weekend
Apr 2016
9:15pm, 10 Apr 2016
1,482 posts
  •  
macapple
Ah cool! Holly is black, I'll post a photo on the fb page for you.

I'm not camping, will drive over and back. My husband works on the site but is not doing any races this year. I'm currently trying to twist a friend's arm to join me.

Success today, I managed my first 10k of the year today and did it in under an hour so I'm feeling more positive that I can train for half marathon in 10-11 weeks.
Apr 2016
9:37pm, 10 Apr 2016
3,972 posts
  •  
runningmumof3boys
Brilliant ! Oh so you should know if dogs are allowed then as actually I wasn't sure ?
Did you do Cambourne ?
Apr 2016
7:56am, 11 Apr 2016
1,483 posts
  •  
macapple
I actually don't. Think it said dogs can run the 5 mile but not the rest. Didn't read the damping info as I'd rather sleep in the car lol

I didn't do Cambourne as it was my wedding anniversary so had a family day ( with a run in the morning).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by auburnette
Kick ass event in a few weeks' time: runnersworld.co.uk