Cramps/Deficiencies

4 watchers
Dec 2012
8:29pm, 27 Dec 2012
7,352 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Hello

I've generally been feeling totally knackered/lethargic for a while, can't make it past 9 in the evening (on a good day), fall asleep all the time and generally just feel a bit rubbish.

Am flagging too early on long bike rides, and today I raced a 10k. Very very early on I was getting big cramps all over legs, my quad was agony from mile 2 and I had run that pace for 5m recently so it wasn't like I was just going too fast. I finished in a world of pain, couldn't lift legs quads hurt so much and I was walking and felt (in legs) like I had raced a marathon. They've never felt like that after a 10k.

I know that muscle cramp things can often be due to a deficiency in something? Any ideas what the possibilities might be so I can eat some?! Or any other ideas?
Dec 2012
8:34pm, 27 Dec 2012
23,083 posts
  •  
Raptors claws are coming to town
What've you been skimping on or doing too much of, GF? Cramps are never the presenting feature of unsuspected micronutrient deficiencies.
Dec 2012
8:37pm, 27 Dec 2012
7,353 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Well I honestly have no idea!!! I really don't think I've done too much of anything, been hardly running at all as I've had a sore foot (tendon, not PF) and no more bike than usual, maybe less!!

And don't think I've skimped on anything either. It's Xmas ;) so maybe not a deficiency and something else?
Dec 2012
8:39pm, 27 Dec 2012
23,084 posts
  •  
The amount of training and racing you've been batting out for months on end makes the fatigue completely understandable, though there would be no harm in getting your blood tested.
Dec 2012
8:42pm, 27 Dec 2012
7,354 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
Normally I can tell when I've maybe been doing too much, but I really don't feel 'overtrained' and certainly haven't lost the love or not wanting to train like what normally happens in that case with me. Maybe I will ask for a blood test, just feel a bit guilty about doing that sometimes when not 'properly ill'
Dec 2012
8:44pm, 27 Dec 2012
23,086 posts
  •  
D'you get cramps at night as well?
Dec 2012
8:44pm, 27 Dec 2012
23,087 posts
  •  
Only, you've got a bit of a kidney history, haven't you?
Dec 2012
8:47pm, 27 Dec 2012
7,355 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
I do sometimes get cramps in the night, although not much recently I don't think. And yes, kidney history- could that cause muscle stuff?
Dec 2012
8:59pm, 27 Dec 2012
1,383 posts
  •  
Curly45
Well done on your 10k and pb!

Have to say my legs are like that when I race a 10k but I dont have your varied health issues so only know in my case its racing hard that does it, especially if i havent done a lot of mileage and run right on the edge or a few days after a tough speed session... hope the legs feel better soon!
Dec 2012
9:47am, 29 Dec 2012
52 posts
  •  
doopy
I've been getting a lot of cramps in my feet/toes recently have had PF, any idea if they are connected?

About This Thread

Maintained by Gymfreak
Hello

I've generally been feeling totally knackered/lethargic for a while, can't make it past 9...