Cracked Heels

1 watcher
Jul 2012
5:52pm, 30 Jul 2012
156 posts
  •  
katief89
A combination of lots of walking in trashy pumps & flipflops and a lot of running has left me with a nice crack on my heel.

Tried to run this morning and couldn't get very far as it was pretty painful - anyone know how long these things take to stop hurting?
It's like a stabby pain and I'm hobbling around - also noticed I had really tight calves as well due to trying to avoid heel striking when walking.

I've got some Scholl cracked heel repair cream but was wondering if there were any other clever suggestions? Or inventive ways of padding it out so I can still run?
Jul 2012
6:00pm, 31 Jul 2012
135 posts
  •  
d87heaven
It may be long term dehydration. Sometimes the heel can push round giving you a nice ridge on the side (I hate feet). Make sure you drink and more importanly have enough salt as lots of food has very little now and its needed to enable proper hydration.. And no you can't have 60 bags of Mccoys to get your 6g of salt per day.
Jul 2012
6:07pm, 31 Jul 2012
812 posts
  •  
Pestomum
schol heel cream is ace. you need a pedi egg or similar too, to remove the dry skin otherwise you'll get blisters. If you're peeing enough, I wouldn't worry about cracked heel as your only sign of dehydration.
Jul 2012
6:22pm, 31 Jul 2012
21,173 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Definitely ditch the flipflops, mules, slingbacks and other such footwear, and wear shoes with proper closed supportive heels.

As Pestomum says, moisturising the skin around your heel and removing any accumulation of hard dry skin at the sides of the crack will provide the best environment for healing. And be sure to wash and dry your feet well - sometimes a low-grade infection causes delay in healing.

You may find that putting a light adhesive dressing (something like Mepore, or Tegaderm Pad) over the area relieves a lot of the discomfort in the meantime and allows you to walk.
Jul 2012
9:22pm, 31 Jul 2012
136 posts
  •  
d87heaven
Sorry pestomum but peeing regular is not a sign of being hydrated. You can drink as much as you like and pee as much as you like but if you aint got salt it won't do anything but go straight through.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by katief89
A combination of lots of walking in trashy pumps & flipflops and a lot of running has left me with a...