Cows advice?

10 watchers
May 2018
9:50pm, 11 May 2018
2,744 posts
  •  
Fizz :-)
I’d happily talk to them for ages over that gate, but I probably wouldn’t run through them on my own.
May 2018
10:42pm, 11 May 2018
1,948 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
A farmer writes:

Most farm animals are used to humans and are relatively benign. These are bullocks and have a tendency to be inquisitive. Hardly surprising as they have a lot to cram in in the 30 months they have before ending up shrink wrapped in Sainsburys.

Strangely my near neighbour and farming colleague D2 has recently blogged about a couple of Bullocks on her land that have something of an attitude problem. Sometimes the chopping off of the dangly bits doesn't do the trick.

My advice is to behave as if you have the right to be there. Act in a relaxed and friendly way. Say hello if you like (I'm known to say things like "Hello my lovely") but speak in a low friendly voice. Waving and shouting isn't advisable. If necessary give them a gentle push.

If you have a dog with you either take it through the field loose (if you can trust it) or be prepared to let go of the lead if the animals take an interest in the dog. Cattle and Sheep often associate dogs with being herded into confined spaces and having things stuck in up or over them. If they sense the chance to get one over on the dog they'll possibly charge.

Oh and if you see the farmer about stop and have a chat. We like a quiet life but we're generally not unfriendly.....
May 2018
11:04pm, 11 May 2018
7,206 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Fellrunning's advice is probably worth a million times more than anything I can offer, but I heard once on *I think* Farming Today (but could have been The Archers as I have in the past believed them to be the same programme ;-) ) that when confronted by a herd of inquisitive cows/cattle if you have something that you can drop on the floor (a jacket, hat, buff or I guess in desperate measures any item of clothing you can get off quickly enough) then the cattle will stop to investigate the dropped item giving you a chance to get away. I've never tried this myself but I never go out running without either a large handkerchief or a buff just in case (although I would hate to lose my Fetch buff in such circumstances, but a buff trampled to death can be replaced more easily).
May 2018
7:15am, 14 May 2018
5,497 posts
  •  
Helegant
Pity I've only just read this thread as I had to get through a herd of bullocks a few days ago.
I worked on the assumption that copying the noises made by a farmer I'd watched would be most effective and it did work, but I was very aware of the size difference.("ey up, moooove over in my best Yorkshire accent, in Herefordshire...)
Once I was safely the other side of the gate they looked gentle and inquisitive. In the field they looked big and unpredictable, and I'd already read D2s blog!
um
May 2018
8:42pm, 15 May 2018
241 posts
  •  
um
I may just leave the teenage bullocks to themselves ... on SWCP this week and things are far more docile. Even when I wear a bright red shirt (without thinking)

Helegant - these ones need a Dorset accent, not Yorkshire.
And they were quite happy - as long as we walked round them rather than them have to move :-)

Thanks all, esp FR, for advice (and yes, I also saw D2's blog earlier)
May 2018
8:19am, 16 May 2018
5,499 posts
  •  
Helegant
I asked yesterday's farmer for advice as he had a lot of mixed age and gender. He said they were mostly Ok, but suggested ignoring the bullocks completely. Summary - be as uninteresting as possible to bullocks, never go into a field of cows with calves, and don't trust any bull.
um
May 2018
9:25am, 16 May 2018
244 posts
  •  
um
Did you ask the next question H?
ie you are half way through a field when the cows/bull become interested in you ...
Run? Or gentle assertive talking?

Quite a few fields here on the Purbeck section of SWCP have mixed cows & calves, just calves/bullocks, sheep (can cope with those) or sheep and bull. Luckily the bulls have so far, been a long way over the other side. Yesterday's 'teenage bullocks' were more interested in bashing heads with each other than us - but I didn't stop for a photo.

I'm working on the principle that they must see lots of humans walking past ... and if there had been trouble, would have been moved.
Hopefully.
May 2018
1:41pm, 16 May 2018
5,500 posts
  •  
Helegant
I did ask and he said best to ignore them. Easier said than done when they weigh a lot more than me and are cantering in my direction.
um
Apr 2019
7:40pm, 30 Apr 2019
892 posts
  •  
um
2019 update - more SWCP Devon cows.

As you can see, blocking the path, and as it turned out, about 20 more behind.
As per advice (thanks !) found a 3 ft 'twig/stick' and worked our through - explaining to each cow in gentle terms they needed to move. One or two needed a 'touch' with the twig ... but no intimidation from either side and all quite amicable :-)
Apr 2019
7:48pm, 30 Apr 2019
14,479 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I came across a cow on the canal towpath once and stopped in my tracks. It wandered offf and I sprinted past.

However in the last year on one of my Sunday routes a field that used to contain only sheep now has a herd of Highland cattle. when I first came across them I chickened out and turned back. I have since run through them with no issue, but always ensuring I had an out to get to if required

About This Thread

Maintained by um
Does anyone have cow advice? Not IOW ...

I live in the country, on the edge of the New Forest, an...