Couch to 5K

16 watchers
Oct 2019
8:54pm, 19 Oct 2019
31 posts
  •  
Jazzer Jogging
Mimiz you havnt let yourself down .Running is quite a tough activity although the rewards are many .im no expert what so ever but I think you have to be very kind to yourself if your gonna run and know that set backs are very normal and that negative self talk will often crop up .accepting that but deciding on a gentle patient attitude with yourself is probably the key .
Oct 2019
12:03pm, 25 Oct 2019
805 posts
  •  
Love Lettuce
Can any C25kers help. My friend has just started running. She's 6 weeks into C25k and loving it. She asked for my advice about what to do when she's finished - she'd like to carry on running 3 times a week and build up her distance. There's a half in June that she's targeting.

My first thought is to suggest one of the c25k - 10K bridging programmes as her next step. Has anyone used one? Or would you recommend something different?
Oct 2019
12:20pm, 27 Oct 2019
1,423 posts
  •  
panad
So...9 months after tearing my Achilles i’ve taken the plunge and put my trainers back on and started on the couch to 5k 12years after i last made that first venture into running following a similar plan. I was nervous as anything, but came back home with such a massive grin on my face :-) remembering exactly what running feels like - though my cardio fitness has unsurprisingly plummeted in the last 9 months :-(

I’ve now finished the first week and my Achilles is holding up with no adverse effects. Looking forward to progressing through the weeks and getting back to running again :-)
Oct 2019
8:29pm, 27 Oct 2019
4,937 posts
  •  
Corrah
Fantastic panad. So glad to hear this :) xx
Oct 2019
8:33pm, 27 Oct 2019
3,640 posts
  •  
FreshStart
Great news panad :-) I'm currently working my way through a Couch to Half training plan.
Oct 2019
8:35pm, 27 Oct 2019
10,748 posts
  •  
Ness
Good luck with it, panad. :)
Nov 2019
9:37am, 3 Nov 2019
1,428 posts
  •  
panad
Two weeks in and it’s hard going...mentally as much as physically. I’m finding myself struggling to ‘remember’ how it was 12yrs ago when i first started running, and making myself do the run intervals at a sensible pace (ie slow!) for my current cardio fitness level. My legs seem to have remembered running with no problem - yes they’ve been stiff/hurt in places they are not used to moving etc at the moment - but my brain needs to remember that just because back in January i could go for a 10+ mile run without much though i am just not that fit at the moment! When i first started running at all was new so going at an appropriate pace happened naturally, currently my brain thinks i can go faster than i can and 2min is a long time to be running, especially when i’m supposed to be 8 lots of it. Having said that thinking about it before i went out yesterday and making sure i paced myself sensibly from the first interval definitely helped :-)

Achillies is noticing it’s being used more again, but is ok so far which is really reassuring.
Nov 2019
10:14am, 3 Nov 2019
4,952 posts
  •  
Corrah
Fantastic work panad xx
Nov 2019
11:08am, 3 Nov 2019
483 posts
  •  
Turtlemama
Love Lettuce, I'd say there are 2 options:
1. There's a Bridge to 10k programme, structured with intervals similar to C25k. I did this when I first took up running.
2. Just run for enjoyment, 3 runs a week but increasing the length of one run by approx. 10% a week. I did this when returning to running last year and found it much better, not being dictated to by pre set intervals etc. I did take a few walk breaks but on my terms, usually coinciding with hills. I think one reason I liked doing it this way was that I could map a route I actually wanted to run based on terrain, scenery etc and not worry about timings.
Nov 2019
1:03pm, 18 Nov 2019
1,442 posts
  •  
panad
Four weeks in now, getting both easier and harder if that makes any sense - generally finding the running intervals are going well with respect to my achillies coping, but stamina wise i can’t believe how much i’m noticing the length of running interval now being 5mins! Ultimately i think i just need to forget how i was running 9months ago and re-imagine myself as new-to-running, which appears to be where my body is actually at ;-)

Looking forward to an easy week this week, before the proportion of running increases at what currently looks very quickly (again just need to remind myself that there are less intervals so total running time doesn’t dramatically increase, and that i probably just need to run them a bit slower - as i have always approached longer runs in the past...!)

Despite what i’ve said i am absolutely loving feeling like i really am getting back running again - just impatient...

About This Thread

Maintained by
Hi I’m new to running and am doing couch to 5k and after any advice morale people can offer