Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Costochondritis - chest cartlage pain

1 watcher
Jul 2015
8:49pm, 27 Jul 2015
1378 posts
SilverStrider
Any body had a bout of this before? If so what worked for you to help recover, how long did it last etc. Ive had mild symptoms for 6 weeks and im struggling to shake it off. Its basically a strain of the cartlage joining the ribs to the sternum. Doesn't impact low level effort but inhibits full lung expansion and creates discomfort in certain specific ranges of movement.

Interested to hear of similar :-)
Jul 2015
11:34pm, 27 Jul 2015
1469 posts
Fellrunning
My daughter/cohabitee in law has been suffering with this for some months. She's a climber. Rest and lots of painkillers seem to be the only treatment.
Aug 2015
10:48pm, 24 Aug 2015
1380 posts
SilverStrider
That's pretty much what the Doc, said! 1 month down the line since first post and 10 weeks in. No noticeable improvement or worsening :-(
Aug 2015
11:02pm, 24 Aug 2015
32770 posts
Velociraptor
Costochondritis is common, harmless, remarkably uncomfortable, responds poorly to any form of treatment, often gets worse and better day to day, and eventually goes away, but it can drag on for well over a year.

There are lots of potential causes - repetitive movement of the upper body, some cases are possibly viral, and it occurs in people with connective tissue diseases. Sometimes "stress" gets the blame.
Aug 2015
11:09pm, 24 Aug 2015
1381 posts
SilverStrider
That sounds very appropriate Velo, as i recall the first signs of it were as I returned to the pool to resume some swimming training after a shoulder op! It was the only change in routine that I could identify. Started initially as reflux type pain but for no reason!
Aug 2015
11:11pm, 24 Aug 2015
1201 posts
susietwoshoes
I rather think I have this, first experienced after using a stirrup pump type thingy to blow up an airbed, it came was rather painful, went and then appeared back again when I was made redundant. Eased off now but sometimes feel it when carrying out certain movements or picking things up.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Silver Strider
Any body had a bout of this before? If so what worked for you to help recover, how long did it last ...

Close