Coronavirus **support** thread

1 lurker | 162 watchers
jda
Jul 2022
9:06am, 5 Jul 2022
12,875 posts
  •  
jda
Yes, similar to flu though quite a lot worse in many ways. Once people have been exposed multiple times, perhaps it will be better. By the time today’s children are the more vulnerable 60+ age range, I’m confident it will be. But that’s a long time off!
Jul 2022
9:14am, 5 Jul 2022
42,788 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I don't think I would have a problem with annual vaccination for Covid, if it helped people to get a less serious response to catching it? (I suppose this is discussion, but I hope I'm being supportive of views!)

Re Tikka's dad and care home infection, is it the case that with older people triple and quad jabbed that even for older and vulnerable people the risk of serious illness is much lower than before, even if you do catch it? Obviously better to prevent infection at all, but if you do get infected, is it less serious?

Love and best wishes to all infected and affected. Speedy and full recovery wishes to all. :-) G
jda
Jul 2022
9:23am, 5 Jul 2022
12,876 posts
  •  
jda
Yes it’s much less serious for all groups, hospitalisation and fatality rates are a fraction of what they were at first. Still quite a few serious cases in total though given the huge number of infections.
Jul 2022
9:27am, 5 Jul 2022
33,725 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
my BIL has had 5 vaccinations for covid now!

I think the thought is covid jab like flu for vulnerable but the rest of us it's like the flu so R&R and stay in bed as needed.

So they need to think about the publics view on being off sick and the application of sick pay
Jul 2022
9:27am, 5 Jul 2022
56,042 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
Someone I know has got it now. He’s a big lad and not young but I guess the vaccines he’s had will largely mitigate what could well have been a very serious potential situation two years ago
Jul 2022
10:17am, 5 Jul 2022
260 posts
  •  
Tikka
HappyG, yes is the answer to your question. In the last wave of Omicron (roughly 4 months ago), all 27 residents in dad’s unit caught it and there were no deaths, or even serious illness. Compare that to the Delta wave pre vaccination - they lost 8 residents in the space of 6 days, and several more over the following months. So the vaccinations have definitely been a game changer.
jda
Jul 2022
10:22am, 5 Jul 2022
12,879 posts
  •  
jda
All of the local elderly cohort seem to be getting over it, one had a brief visit to hospital but the rest seem basically fine. Could have been very different a couple of years ago.

As for more vaccines, I had started paying for the flu jab in my 50s partly for my own sake (didn’t want to ruin a marathon!) but partly to protect more vulnerable relatives. I’d consider covid similarly were it available for a reasonable cost (which it should be given the figures bandied about).
Jul 2022
10:29am, 5 Jul 2022
33,731 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
work have done free flu jabs for the last couple of years might have even started in 2019?
at 49 I wouldn't get one otherwise!
Jul 2022
10:33am, 5 Jul 2022
33,732 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
mum was never offered a 4th booster for covid (at least she said she wasn't)

She should have had a heart checkup in May/June but hasn't heard from the hospital (apparently) and hasn't contacted them either.

She had to leave the house again yesterday to renew her Blue badge so that's twice now!
Jul 2022
11:22am, 5 Jul 2022
22,918 posts
  •  
Ness
I think my mum had her 4th vaccination, Pix. I'll check when I next see her. She won't remember but if she's had it her friend will have taken her and she'll have a new card in her purse.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com
theguardian.com
video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s