Coronavirus Regulations UK: What is permitted and prohibited

41 watchers
Apr 2020
9:01am, 23 Apr 2020
6,328 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Absolutely DT. That's the sort of thing that concerns me too.
Apr 2020
9:28am, 23 Apr 2020
2,366 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Patrols seem to have been scaled back here. To be honest, that was only sensible. Our beach hardly ever has more than a dozen people on it.
Apr 2020
3:20pm, 23 Apr 2020
22,428 posts
  •  
Dave A
When the lockdown came into force there was a general reduction in calls to service, so Police has more time to patrol and be visible. Since then there has been an increase, which will account for why Police haven’t been seen patrolling and as visible.
Apr 2020
3:29pm, 23 Apr 2020
10,865 posts
  •  
larkim
I've just got back from work and on the drive home there are noticeably groups of teenage lads in the main hanging out together. Some may well be from the same household, but unlikely that all are.

OTOH, the calculated effectiveness of social distancing isn't predicated on everyone adhering to it, even if it should be legally enforceable and is desireable, so unless the behaviour appears to be rife in a particular locality I'm not too concerned if I don't see police cars on every corner keeping those individuals under control if there is other work the police could be doing to help protect against domestic violence, or other crimes that are no doubt still taking place.
Apr 2020
4:12pm, 23 Apr 2020
9,955 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I mentioned to our local counsellor (although village rather than town) that I came across about 7-8 teenagers playing on a cordoned off skate park, not to mention groups of kids in the local woods about groups of kids too. He said he was battling with local council to provide wardens basically not interested. He had a meeting planned with police and council and was trying his best. He is the best counsellor we’ve had but he’s struggling as he can’t get the support needed higher up.

I will be compliant but can see why others just think stuff it.
jda
Apr 2020
4:26pm, 23 Apr 2020
7,157 posts
  •  
jda
Can understand people being a bit frustrated/annoyed, but at least blowing off a bit of steam outdoors is probably about as low-risk a social activity as it's possible to have. If they ended up going back to someone's house then it would almost certainly be worse.
Apr 2020
7:03pm, 23 Apr 2020
379 posts
  •  
Weath
I very much doubt it is a case of the Council not being interested, but one of available resources and priorities.

As I've previously mentioned; I'm an EHO in a 'pollution' role at a local authority and my main 2 areas of work have literally just gone through the roof in the last few weeks. Similar to many other councils we have moved a lot of our core functions to that of working from home with all but the most unavoidable face-to-face site meetings totally off the agenda i.e court injunctions and the execution of warrants for example However, we still have to respond to each and every complaint of 'nuisance' that come in (noise, smoke, accumulations, light, etc.) and initiate interventions wherever possible. This is being hampered by reduced access to basic necessities such as printing, post and limited access to certain databases we hold for occupier information.

Add into this a >5x increase upon complaint levels of what we would typically be expecting to be dealing with at this time of year and the additional responsibilities that we also now have under Covid legislation for investigating 'non-compliant' businesses that are being (often mistakenly!) reported to us and it becomes an indicator of why there has to to be a degree of limitation on what the public can currently expect.

On a further personal basis I am also the 'air quality' Officer for the Borough and am finding that there has been a substantial escalation from outside agencies/consultants taking the opportunity to contact me to promote their services with requests of "just a short MS Teams meeting" as though I am sat around idly twiddling my thumbs ...
Apr 2020
7:05pm, 23 Apr 2020
15,725 posts
  •  
Rosehip
Hearing a story on the grapevine that a "curtain twitcher" complaining about lots of comings and goings to a local house uncovered a huge cannabis farm and drugs gang...
Apr 2020
7:13pm, 23 Apr 2020
380 posts
  •  
Weath
and where I work that "curtain twitcher" would have most likely been pointed in the direction of Env Health by the local constabulary for us to deal with as they don't think cannabis is an issue for themselves to deal with.
Apr 2020
7:19pm, 23 Apr 2020
2,374 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
Where I used to live, there was a huge cannabis farm three doors down. Lovely family. Lovely kids. None of the neighbours had a clue

About This Thread

Maintained by ITG 🇮🇸
Here are links to the LAW on the corona lockdown (England) to help you distinguish law, guidelines and random ranting at the telly and make informed and sensible decisions about exercising.

I will try to update if this changes.