Coronavirus Regulations UK: What is permitted and prohibited

41 watchers
ITG
Mar 2020
3:05pm, 31 Mar 2020
8,768 posts
  •  
ITG
Reports are that certain government ministers and police officers are making it up on the hoof. Here is the law that specifies what is explicitly prohibited/permitted.

Restrictions on movement:
legislation.gov.uk

Restrictions on gathering:
legislation.gov.uk

There is NO legal limit (for now) on how often you may exercise outside and there is certainly no time limit on it. It is not an offence to pass within 2m of someone else.

This is not at all to say that you should not follow GUIDANCE from public health experts for your own safety and that of others, especially regarding not taking unnecessary trips and not passing others closely unnecessarily. But certain officers if armed with a tin hat and a whistle do tend to get carried away.

Keep on running! Safely!
Mar 2020
4:07pm, 31 Mar 2020
2,153 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Unfortunately it's not just officers ITG - there are a lot of people trying to impose their interpretation on others.
Mar 2020
4:08pm, 31 Mar 2020
11,188 posts
  •  
Ness
Thank you for helping to make the information clearer.
Mar 2020
4:45pm, 31 Mar 2020
49,126 posts
  •  
Dr PhFleecyD
Looking at other countries I fear that they’ll just change the law to reflect public opinion. Too many people sitting indoors getting grumpy and needing a target. So far most government messaging has been pretty positive about physical activity. And actually I’ve seen nobody flouting any rules at all though that might be where I live.

Huge increase in people cycling for transport round here, the buses are about once an hour instead of every 10 minutes and people still have to get to work (particularly the local hospital) and shops.
ITG
Mar 2020
4:54pm, 31 Mar 2020
8,774 posts
  •  
ITG
The problem, IMO, is that the law is so unclear because even the government ministers cannot distinguish between 1) law; 2) guidelines and advice; and 3) what one of them said at the last press conference. Crappy reporting and overzealous PC plods do not help. You're not living in the Handmaid's Tale just yet: only Parliament can create a criminal offence. To me, the Rule of Law is MOST important when we are in times of crisis.

(These regulations have to be approved within 28 days by Parliament or they will become void.)

Obviously, be sensible! But don't be bullied either.
Mar 2020
4:58pm, 31 Mar 2020
23,121 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
Our daily briefings are pitiful compared to Cumo's in the states. He exudes confidence and a command of his brief and isn't afraid to share the full picture using graphics. We need someone who equally inspires trust and a willingness to share the truth and be guided by expert opinions.

Step forward Michael Gove...
Mar 2020
5:01pm, 31 Mar 2020
61,950 posts
  •  
swittle
bbc.co.uk

Important to bear in mind that crime continues, virus or no virus.
ITG
Mar 2020
5:11pm, 31 Mar 2020
8,775 posts
  •  
ITG
Ah yes, the Michael Gove who wanted to replace the NHS with personal "vouchers".
Mar 2020
5:15pm, 31 Mar 2020
23,122 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
What?
jda
Mar 2020
5:15pm, 31 Mar 2020
6,920 posts
  •  
jda
There is strong evidence that spending time outdoors and exercising is good for us in many ways, including combatting the virus itself. If they were to try to limit that too much, then they would get a lot of blowback from the scientific community as well as some sections of the public. I really don't see it as a likely direction of policy unless there is significant evidence of groups gathering outside. I'm sure many of us probably imagine the tories as facist bullies who would jump at the chance of a crackdown but they are also well aware of the risks of losing public consent and support. This was, after all, one of the main reasons they used for not taking action quicker.

About This Thread

Maintained by ITG 🇮🇸
Here are links to the LAW on the corona lockdown (England) to help you distinguish law, guidelines and random ranting at the telly and make informed and sensible decisions about exercising.

I will try to update if this changes.