Coronavirus discussion thread

137 watchers
Jan 2021
7:54pm, 16 Jan 2021
5,959 posts
  •  
Metro_Nome
Macca think the point is more the difference between going for a run with somebody (exercise) versus a takeaway coffee and natter on a park bench (social)
Jan 2021
8:11pm, 16 Jan 2021
3,188 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Thankfully, both OK in Scotland. About all that is though lol
Jan 2021
8:17pm, 16 Jan 2021
48,040 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
My only day I run with anybody else usually consists of a run then a takeaway coffee while we walk and talk so still get exercise and a catch up (Scotland) and see no harm in it.
Jan 2021
8:17pm, 16 Jan 2021
3,189 posts
  •  
Tim of Fife
Two people from two different households "can meet outdoors for sport, exercise or social interaction" (ScotGov)
Jan 2021
8:21pm, 16 Jan 2021
48,041 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Yip and that’s why we do it - while we still can :-)
jda
Jan 2021
8:41pm, 16 Jan 2021
9,262 posts
  •  
jda
I think that’s a very reasonable approach to take and wish that England had similar.

Though maybe that’s partly my personal bias as it’s all the social contact my mother has.
Jan 2021
8:52pm, 16 Jan 2021
21,762 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I broke the rules today - something which hadn't even occurred to me until I looked at this thread. Early on my run today I ran past a couple of people - just as I passed I had a "ping" and realised they were two friends I hadn't seen throughout this whole thing. So I stopped, and we blethered for (Garmin tells me) around forty minutes. But there were two of them :-o . So really, I should just have said hi and carried on, or advised them that I could only speak to one at a time. (At all times, we were 1.5-2m apart, on a breezy day.)

Whilst chatting, F told me something related to the current increases. He's in the oil business: cooking oil that is, draining and cleaning commercial fryers. Including at the local University. He was informed by staff there that FSS it was party central in the residences: music, lights and large groups. The cheap pizzas they had proved very popular for these, but in the end they would only deliver out to the residences, to stop all the students who were completely disregarding distancing rules from coming in.
Jan 2021
8:54pm, 16 Jan 2021
21,763 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Oh, and on the run several people were squeezing out of my way (I in return gave them a wide berth) in a way that I haven't really seen since the early days of it all.
Jan 2021
9:06pm, 16 Jan 2021
13,144 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I ran with my friend today I was a reasonable distance runner front and to side on narrows paths and when it widened we ran next to each other but at a distance. If nothing else we both came back buzzing from having been out for a decent and challenging run.

Both of us have had a challenging week That was more than any therapy could give.
Jan 2021
9:35pm, 16 Jan 2021
5,010 posts
  •  
KimCanRun
I think in Scotland most folks are combining the social interaction with their exercise as you can only leave home for essential journeys (Work, exercise, food shop etc). So you can’t just meet at a park and sit on a bench 2m apart for example.

When I drop off food shop to parents I stand outside and have a wee chat. Can’t hang about too long though in this weather!

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.