Coronavirus discussion thread

137 watchers
Apr 2021
9:36am, 15 Apr 2021
24,594 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
that was my thoughts and would it even make a difference? It's not going to stop a reaction happening
Apr 2021
9:45am, 15 Apr 2021
5,140 posts
  •  
icemaiden
The paracetamol will wear off before the side effects kick in, it takes several hours, so just wait and see what happens and if you need something, take it then.
jda
Apr 2021
11:04am, 15 Apr 2021
9,890 posts
  •  
jda
We had someone ask about that last weekend. Wonder where the idea comes from? I did take one in the night as I wasn’t sleeping very well, and it seemed to help. I wouldn’t bother beforehand though.
Apr 2021
11:13am, 15 Apr 2021
5,142 posts
  •  
icemaiden
It probably comes from the advice to give calpol to babies before they get their usual jabs, just in case ...
Apr 2021
11:43am, 15 Apr 2021
19,481 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I did wonder about this as a precautionary measure and had family members suggesting I took paracetamol before and after the vaccine just in case.

In general I avoid taking medication unless prescribed or I feel really bad and so I didnt take paracetamol before and pondered long and hard afterwards but did take eventually take 2 paracetamol about 24 hrs after as I had a bit of headache

Based on no scientific evidence I did wonder if taking tablets might in some way interfere with the vaccine doing its job and felt it best to just let things be
Apr 2021
11:44am, 15 Apr 2021
27,946 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I’ve heard it all now.
“My hairdresser told me I’d be alright because it’s people who’ve used red hair dye who get the worst side effects”
I didn’t know quite where to start with one!
Apr 2021
11:47am, 15 Apr 2021
7,767 posts
  •  
sallykate
OMG HB, that's hilarious and depressing in equal measure!

I've never found that paracetamol has much of an effect in pain relief for me so I avoid it. It was the only option when I was pregnant I think (advice was no ibuprofen) but didn't work against the headaches I had in early pregnancy.
Apr 2021
11:52am, 15 Apr 2021
25,009 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
There was a board by the entrance to our vaxx centre which specifically mentioned taking paracetamol if you felt rough after the vaxx.
Apr 2021
11:57am, 15 Apr 2021
52,221 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Taking paracetamol if you feel rough makes perfect sense. Taking paracetamol in advance to prevent you from feeling rough doesn't.
Apr 2021
12:28pm, 15 Apr 2021
13,999 posts
  •  
larkim
Prophylactic paracetamol taken before / immediately on vaccination isn't an unheard of concept though. It is recommended for infants receiving the MenB innoculation for example.

Though as noted above, this is more for infants than adults.

About This Thread

Maintained by sallykate
Discussion of coronavirus: share useful information, air your frustrations but play nicely!

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.