Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Coronavirus **support** thread

16 lurkers | 158 watchers
26 Sep
4:56pm, 26 Sep 2020
11170 posts
Little Nemo
Hope your dog is feeling better soon, gg.

Queues at Waitrose seemed much worse today. They seemed to be operating a bizarre 3 out, 1 in system but I'm sure someone just wandered in while the person on the door wasn't looking. There was a big queue for the tills and again I'm sure someone pushed in but no one said anything. I was tired and grumpy and queueing in the cold is not much fun :-(
26 Sep
5:39pm, 26 Sep 2020
3430 posts
Little Miss Happy
Sorry to hear about the positive tests and the theft AR.

um - Tesco have 90 Vit D for £3 and 3 for the price of 2. I don't take Vit C but again they are 3 for 2 and much cheaper than H&B.

gg - glad to hear it, hope she continues to improve. Lola chased a rabbit through a barbed wire fence/prickly hedge on Sunday and came back with a large hole in her chest (3 staples) and a wound about half the length of her front left leg - cue emergency trip to the vets. Greyhounds have very thin skin unfortunately. The chest wound is fine but for some unknown reason on Thursday the leg wound suddenly started bleeding profusely (I'm talking soaked through a towel folded over three times as I applied pressure to try to stop the bleeding, duvet in the back of the car so blood soaked we couldn't wash it out. I've never seen anything like it in 30 years of greyhounds/lurchers) so emergency return to the vets and pressure bandage applied. Bleeding stopped so home she came then this morning when we got up she was lame and miserable (she's the happiest dog I've ever had usually). I didn't have the wherewithal to take the dressing down myself and replace it so back to the vets - different type of dressing applied under the pressure bandage and she was once again sound and happy. I could do without the stress!
26 Sep
6:03pm, 26 Sep 2020
11640 posts
geordiegirl
Oh my word that sounds horrendous and can’t believe she could bleed so much. Thank goodness they’ve stopped it. Hope she’s now on the road to recovery. She looked a bit hot so took her coat off she sat up by herself and gave me a cuddle. Back sleeping now and about 10min from home. What a sorry they are
26 Sep
6:06pm, 26 Sep 2020
3431 posts
Little Miss Happy
They sure are gg!

That sounds stressful LN.
26 Sep
6:09pm, 26 Sep 2020
1546 posts
Grast_girl
Regarding vit D, for those who get out in the sun daily (defined as being able to see a shadow that is shorter than you are for 15 minutes with hands and face exposed), you shouldn't need a supplement except in the winter (usually Oct to April in the UK, but depends on latitude).

However, if you can't get vit D that way, like in the winter, then a supplement is recommended, preferably D3 as it's absorbed better than D2*. This also applies the rest of the year if you don't get out, cover most of your skin when you do, or have a darker skin tone.

You shouldn't be able to overdose from skin exposure alone, but does mean thinking about whether you have had your sun exposure for the day before taking a supplement. There may be a few people who produce more naturally due to genetic variation.

The standard Tesco/Boots etc supplements should be fine. If you have specific medical conditions you probably should check with your doctor first, I know my grandad has special supplements because of his kidney failure.

*D3 is not suitable for vegans though as it often comes from sheeps' wool lanolin
26 Sep
6:22pm, 26 Sep 2020
46534 posts
alpenrose
My friend is ok at the moment, her hubby's improving, the grandson sounds like he's ailing (iykwim) but daughter's pretty rough and was vomitting yesterday. Not what you need as a single mother in a cramped flat with 4 boys ranging from 11 down to 1. The boys' father is moving in for a couple of weeks to help out as he has to isolate anyway, he might as well be useful with it. ;-)
um
26 Sep
6:23pm, 26 Sep 2020
3384 posts
um
Thanks LMH
Although I still have 4 months of the Boots ones, next time will be Tesco’s. While they still have 3 for 2.
6:52am
6:52am, 27 Sep 2020
3432 posts
Little Miss Happy
um - they regularly have the offer so if it's not on when you're looking check again in a week or so.

gg - how was she overnight? Lola is her usual self this morning so I'm hoping she's properly on the road to recovery.
9:33am
9:33am, 27 Sep 2020
11642 posts
geordiegirl
Glad to hear your Lola is doing better. Ellie is bright as a button although asleep at the moment and can stand sit lie down she’s still a bit wobbly on her leg initially. We’ll rest her and keep an eye on her and fingers crossed it was a twinge/muscle spasm rather than spinal chord.

Off for a joint birthday run with my mam - I can run with her but not see her at home for our birthday so we’re making the most of it. We’ll keep a good distance
11:22am
11:22am, 27 Sep 2020
3434 posts
Little Miss Happy
Good news gg. Happy Birthday to you and your mam - hope you have a lovely run.

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by DocM
PLEASE NOTE
There is a separate discussion thread for debating the grander scheme of things here: fetcheveryone.com/forum/coronavirus-discussion-thread-61609

Go there if you want to talk about whether it's real, whether the government are trying to control us, etc, etc.

===

information, discussion and support about the unfolding Covid-19 outbreak
NO politics please
And above all please be kind and respect others points of view and concerns.

microbiologists view byFlatlander
Science of coronavirus
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/3#blog403867
coronavirus testing by Flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/4#blog405255

information for ashtma sufferers
asthma.org.uk

information for pregnancy
rcog.org.uk

imperial article
imperial.ac.uk
imperial.ac.uk

Government advice gov.uk

advice for those with RA and autoinmmune diseases
nras.org.uk

diabetes advice
diabetes.org.uk

explaination of the maths of the growth of the epidemic
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kas0tIxDvrg&fbclid=IwAR3exg0rG_Bz3gPqjXY3rcFajqVSk-cOK5lQGVkYcuzoMOdNEp7VTgH-Kac&app=desktop

tips to help you cope
drive.google.com

Advice to stay at home
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk

planning for and what to do if you are ill
covid-at-home.info
support for self isolates
nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk

Ft coronavirus tracker
ft.com

A good article about dealing with the feelings of grief that the current situation has given us hbr.org

advice on self isolation for indivuals with symptoms or and their household
gov.uk

seven day rolling averages
ourworldindata.org

A sustainable exit strategy document
institute.global

susceptibility to covid by flatlander
fetcheveryone.com/blog/37839/2020/5#blog406151

bromage article
erinbromage.com

government guidelines 11th may for England(NI, Scotland and Wales linked at the bottom of article)
gov.uk

breathing practice
physiotherapyforbpd.org.uk

lancet articles
thelancet.com

help with mask anxiety
psychologytoday.com

tracker
travellingtabby.com

video of droplet dispersal
https://youtu.be/DNeYfUTA11s