Core strength for dummies?

7 watchers
Jul 2012
9:58am, 3 Jul 2012
19,944 posts
  •  
Frobester
I'm thinking I probably need to work on this, if only to improve my recovery time, stamina and general overall fitness. I currently run at least twice a week, but do no other exercise. I used to do tons of circuit training and was mountain fit as well as running fit about 20 years ago, but the years have not been kind and I'm looking for some advice and guidance. I really want to avoid gyms, I've thought of dabbling with the Forces Fit thing, but am at a bit of a crossroads, and could do with someone saying "try this", or "try that".

Thanks!
Jul 2012
9:59am, 3 Jul 2012
4,864 posts
  •  
lammo
Shredding is the future....
Jul 2012
10:06am, 3 Jul 2012
19,947 posts
  •  
Frobester
Hmm, having randomly alighted on a Livestrong thing about shredding, it appears it's about weight loss and muscle definition. However, I'm not exactly Larry Lardbucket, and isn't muscle definition for those orange people who spend their lives on Venice Beach?
Jul 2012
10:12am, 3 Jul 2012
3,959 posts
  •  
becca7
Quite a lot of links stuff that might be suitable are in the header of this thread. http://www.fetcheveryone.com/viewtopic.php?id=47833 The Core H video is a good ten minute workout for example.
Jul 2012
10:13am, 3 Jul 2012
1,879 posts
  •  
Jon_T
There is a thread on here about core and strength, in the header there are several links to core workouts, some are just plain nasty, but you will be able to get something there I'm sure
Jul 2012
10:13am, 3 Jul 2012
1,880 posts
  •  
Jon_T
That's the one
Jul 2012
10:16am, 3 Jul 2012
19,950 posts
  •  
Frobester
Thanks guys.
Jul 2012
10:22am, 3 Jul 2012
3,123 posts
  •  
Making_Tracks
I was having quite serious back problems after my cycle accident last year. My physio told me my weak core was contributing to my problem and I needed to take action.

I spent 4 months building my core strength up slowly. I used 4 x 15 min sessions in the gym with a personal trainer and focused on laying on the mat and working some very basic moves. Once my back started to improve I progressed off the mat to more challenging core work on a swiss ball etc and then about a month ago I started to do more general gym work that challenges my core.

The difference has been immense! I no longer have chronic back pain and I can now run without lower back and hip pain. My climbing on the bike up hills has improved significantly and my swim times are improving.
Jul 2012
10:43am, 3 Jul 2012
19,956 posts
  •  
Frobester
That's useful, thanks MT. I think my weak core is contributing to my only occasional enjoyment of running, which is not a good thing.
Jul 2012
10:44am, 3 Jul 2012
2,434 posts
  •  
fleecy
Frobester: Shred is basically a circuits class on a DVD, and if you get to Level 3 there are shitloads of planks which work your core :) However, doing a DVD isn't that motivating.
Did you enjoy circuits? Why not go back to that? I do a circuits class once a week and it's excellent for overall fitness, not much cardio but lots of weights. I also do Body Pump, which is a weights class but with squats, lunges etc, you are basically always using your core in that. I think doing 'core work' out of context is both dull and not that helpful compared with something which works your whole body and makes you engage your core as part of that. Maybe try a martial art? Try something new, see if you enjoy it :)

About This Thread

Maintained by
I'm thinking I probably need to work on this, if only to improve my recovery time, stamina and gene...