Core strength for dummies?

7 watchers
Jul 2012
10:55am, 3 Jul 2012
19,958 posts
  •  
Frobester
Cheers Fleecy. Maybe it was how Livestrong sold Shredding which kinda put me off! I take your point about doing it in context though, that makes sense.
Jul 2012
11:05am, 3 Jul 2012
3,124 posts
  •  
Making_Tracks
The context bit is important but first you need to know where your "core" is and how to use it. I think this is why I found the really basic mat work helpful. A pilates session or two could teach you this. Only once you've started to properly engage your core and use it should you progress to the more functional exercises otherwise you'll find ways to compensate for your core and not get the development you're looking for.
Jul 2012
11:05am, 3 Jul 2012
7,571 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
This is a good routine - about 10 exercises if you skip the (to my mind) crap exercises of 4 and 6.

beginnertriathlete.com
Jul 2012
11:06am, 3 Jul 2012
2,436 posts
  •  
fleecy
Make it something enjoyable! I came to running from a background of doing aerobics classes, I find it a bit weird the way runners talk about core work or cross-training, for me it's all cross-training. But so many runners seem to only run, and just use the same muscles over and over and then get injured. Fitness is not just about cardio, it's also about strength, agility, flexibility, balance, co-ordination...Mixing it up is good, I really love all the classes I do, and even stuff like rollerskating with the kids is good for balance and using different muscles.
Jul 2012
11:08am, 3 Jul 2012
2,437 posts
  •  
fleecy
MT: that is actually a very good point.
Jul 2012
11:12am, 3 Jul 2012
3,125 posts
  •  
Making_Tracks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hlnfZBQwPaA

This is the first very basic core exercise I tried. Can you do this with your abs engaged (back flat to the floor) throughout the whole movement? I couldn't initially. I can now even with a 3kg weight held between my feet whilst doing double toe taps.
Sep 2012
2:37pm, 21 Sep 2012
62,730 posts
  •  
GregP
Hello. Sorry to interrupt, but I've just read an article about stretching (in 'Veteran Leaguer' magazine) that makes a statement which I *suspect* is twaddle.

"Sensory organs in the muscles and tendons relay information to the central nervouus system".

Sendory organs? Really?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I'm thinking I probably need to work on this, if only to improve my recovery time, stamina and gene...