•  
FreshStart
Another thanks for V'rap :-)
Jun 2013
8:06pm, 9 Jun 2013
49 posts
  •  
Ymee
I believe the FP clinic in Edinburgh now recommends women take the combined pill continuously until they start to get break through bleeding, at which point they have their pill-free week, then restart and take continuously until break through bleeding again. Off licence, but it's what I would do if I was on the pill.
Jun 2013
9:14pm, 9 Jun 2013
1,003 posts
  •  
PowerJen
That's interesting. Ymee. I'm another one who takes 2 or 3 packs pack to back with no problems. I only have a break when it suits me and to check everything still works!
Jun 2013
10:34pm, 9 Jun 2013
629 posts
  •  
AstraKhanGentry
I wonder whether my GP has been a bit careless, I have had migraines for several years now and depression and no-one suggested that it might have something to do with the pill, I have been taking them since I was sixteen (initially for acne) when I went in and asked about irregular bleeding, they changed my pill to another one, but never suggested that I stop or consider an alternative, or explained what those alternatives might be. I have had a month off the pill and am beginning to think that the migraines and the depression were being affected, if not caused, by the pill.
Jun 2013
9:51am, 10 Jun 2013
14,964 posts
  •  
Stumpy
astrakhan, one of the gp's can comment with data rather than my n=1 anecdote, but yes, for me, hormonal comtraception gave me horrendous migraines (I still get migraines but much less frequent and much less severe. I was told eventually by a gp never to take the pill again as my migraines led to loss of speech and sensation). I also believe it was linked to the onset of depression for me. every time I changed pill I had a bout of depression. been pill free for a long time now. but I also have endo, which returned with avengence after I stopped taking it. rock and hard place.....

Ps my depression is hormonal anyway. I was happy as a sandboy when pregnant and when I have been in enforced high oestrogen situations. for that reason I have resisted the POP and my gynaecologist agreed with my history it would be likely to cause some depression. BUT for other people POP might suit better than combined pill.
Jun 2013
11:20pm, 12 Jun 2013
630 posts
  •  
AstraKhanGentry
Thanks Stumpy, I've not had a migraine for about a month, so it's already looking better than it has for a while on that front. I'll have to wait and see on the depression.
Apr 2014
4:36pm, 16 Apr 2014
5,552 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
Quick question. I take cerazette. When I started taking the pill it was easier to take at a consistent time in the evening (my youngest had a regular medication after tea and so I just took my pill when I gave him his medication). Now I want to take it in the morning because that's more convenient.

Obv I can't leave an evening dose til the next morning but can I take a dose one evening and then another the next morning (12 hours later) and thereafter take in the morning and still be covered? Or will I make a baby or destroy my ladybits?
Apr 2014
4:49pm, 16 Apr 2014
29,536 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
That would be the most effective way to switch, leaguefreak :)
Apr 2014
5:10pm, 16 Apr 2014
17,774 posts
  •  
halfpint
I'm interested to hear other people's experiences. I have been on the pill off and on since about age 14/5 - went on it due to sever period pains. Stopped for a bit before and after having my son. When he was about 5 I realised I was getting horrendous mood swings (teary, grumpy, homicidal, delighted) and the doc put me on the pill. I started getting migraines and took a year or so to make the connection - switched pills a few times but migraines have persisted. I stopped taking pill in the summer and have only had 2 migraines since but they have been absolute corkers. I'm not actually convinced they are migraines as had migraine type head but off work/Uni next day (which I've never had to do before) and then really fatigued and hungover feeling for at least 2 weeks after.

My biggest issue is despite a promising start I am concerned that the mood swings are starting again. They are extreme and my wee boy gets the brunt of them :( Anyone know of other options which can help with the hormone related mood swings?

About This Thread

Maintained by Miss Piggy Wiggy
I went to my quacks today to get a repeat perscription of my pill.

He amongst the other doctors i...