59 watchers
Sep 2020
1:37pm, 21 Sep 2020
11,004 posts
  •  
MazH
I very like....!

So key points/differences are what?

Hub gears (all in the cyclinder on the back wheel)

A belt as opposed to a chain

is it disc brakes?

has it got dynamo hub lights?

and what is that black flat plate thingy between the frame and the back wheel?

sorry for all the questions, i am just keen to learn, and you lot are so approachable!
Sep 2020
2:01pm, 21 Sep 2020
19,789 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Lights aren't dynamo, they are battery, which was a little annoying, but having a dedicated location for the lights is a bonus. I wouldn't want to use just one light, anyway.

Hub gears, seven of them, fine for the little inclines I have on the way to work, and the brakes are roller brakes, which aren't quite as 'grabby' as the disc brakes on the MTB, but again are relatively low maintenance as there are no pads to wear out.

Puncture resistant tyres, as hub geared wheels are more difficult to remove and repair a puncture.

Purpose-built carrier and mudguards. Larger diameter and narrower wheels that the MTB, wider and more grippy (and lower pressure) than the racer.

Nice upright riding position.

Grease-free belt instead of a chain, and a chain guard to protect my hems.

The black plate thingy is a built-in frame lock, it locks the wheel. It is possible to buy an additional chain or cable to go into a hole in the side to lock it to objects, that's a cheap enough optional extra that I'll look into, maybe next month.
Sep 2020
2:02pm, 21 Sep 2020
11,005 posts
  •  
MazH
I think it's lovely.... and doesn't look like a slipper, so that's a bonus!
Sep 2020
2:04pm, 21 Sep 2020
11,006 posts
  •  
MazH
Does she have a name...? You can't call her Frappe....!
Sep 2020
2:09pm, 21 Sep 2020
11,007 posts
  •  
MazH
My car was in the garage over the weekend, so I cycled into work today. walked over to get my car back at lunchtime. I have the rack on the car so can put Mabel on the back no trouble.

I am most miffed that I am only getting a one way commute, lol!
Sep 2020
4:27pm, 21 Sep 2020
12,686 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
"Commuting to work by bike". Laughable, in my life now.

I've ridden my "real" bike about 20 miles since March.
Sep 2020
4:28pm, 21 Sep 2020
11,008 posts
  •  
MazH
Is that because work is at home?

Or Are you not working?

Or injury?
Sep 2020
4:31pm, 21 Sep 2020
12,687 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
WFH! And since I only work part time......

Running on those 3 days instead of commuting to keep the mileage up, but there's really not much point in getting the bike out. Everywhere else is either in walking distance of "needs" a car (e.g. towing a caravan, visiting far flung family!)
Sep 2020
4:42pm, 21 Sep 2020
13,771 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
I actually got my commuter out of the garage as I might be cycling to work on Friday, assuming I'm allowed to and I don't take the car to carry more stuff.

To be fair, it doubles as my winter bike so it needed digging out anyway.
rhb
Sep 2020
12:29am, 22 Sep 2020
1,481 posts
  •  
rhb
This was 10.15pm on Friday night (almost channelling The Cure) on my way home from a late shift.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
There is a nice thread about commuting to work by running, and there are loads of terrifying threads about bikes and cycling which are about carbon and grams of weight and lycra - not this one: how to dry your kit, how to carry/store your work clothes etc. and some bike specific stuff about best mudguards to minimize wet and dirt and maybe some stuff about cycle paths, safety, simple bike maintenance etc.

And if you declare yourself at the outset as:
A. Total bike head, train lots, do bike races/triathlons and the commute bit is just a way of getting extra miles in and is done at full bike training pace.
B. Bike for fitness (either with running as main sport or not) and like to do bike in lycra, at reasonable speed, certainly always shower necessary!

C. Bike is firstly a mode of transport, essential for the commute, sure a bit of fitness is good, but it's secondary. Safe, reliable and clean are the priorities.

:-) G