Commuting to work by bike

59 watchers
Sep 2020
10:23am, 17 Sep 2020
19,764 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Apparently the new bike is due to be delivered today.

However, as there's nobody at work today, I've moved that to tomorrow.
Sep 2020
10:30am, 17 Sep 2020
10,976 posts
  •  
MazH
Wow! that's fast!!
Sep 2020
10:40am, 17 Sep 2020
19,767 posts
  •  
DeeGee
It is rather. Maybe now the weather isn't so good and people are back at work, there's less of a run on new bikes.
Sep 2020
10:41am, 17 Sep 2020
19,768 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Just realised I wrote "nobody at work today". Obvs, I meant "nobody at home today".
Sep 2020
10:48am, 21 Sep 2020
10,995 posts
  •  
MazH
DeeGee..... has she arrived? and is she beautiful? and can we have photos!?!!?!
Sep 2020
10:55am, 21 Sep 2020
10,996 posts
  •  
MazH
I booked my bike in for a free Health Check at Halfords last week.... I know they get bad press but I can't fault the guy I got....

He asked me if i had any areas of concern, I said my brakes felt a bit below par, but otherwise ok. I told him I'd recently changed my own inner tube, (he said pressure good and all fine), and told him I'd recently fitted my SPD pedals, so he double checked the torque on pedals (a smidge more torque on them but not far off, go me!)

He said new pads wouldn't go amiss, and he offered to do them there and then, and tightened brake cables. Feels great now, so much more responsive.

Also recommended a new chain and rear cassette in the next few months. They were smooth enough, but definitely a bit stretched.

Rang the transaction thru £28.99 for pads and labour, and then promptly shoved it on a government voucher to cover cost.
As I am utterly skint, I could have kissed him!
Sep 2020
12:27pm, 21 Sep 2020
19,786 posts
  •  
DeeGee
She has arrived Maz, yes. She is lovely. Rode in today for the first time, happy with my choice. I much prefer the riding position, was glad to not have to carry a bag and was able to put on a decent pace without much effort.

Just went out to the gazebo to take some photos, but there's someone there and I thought it would look a bit odd.
Sep 2020
12:28pm, 21 Sep 2020
19,787 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Now on the hunt for some classy looking panniers...
Sep 2020
1:14pm, 21 Sep 2020
11,001 posts
  •  
MazH
need photos....!!
Sep 2020
1:31pm, 21 Sep 2020
19,788 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Not the best angles or camera. And no radiator to lean it against ;)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
There is a nice thread about commuting to work by running, and there are loads of terrifying threads about bikes and cycling which are about carbon and grams of weight and lycra - not this one: how to dry your kit, how to carry/store your work clothes etc. and some bike specific stuff about best mudguards to minimize wet and dirt and maybe some stuff about cycle paths, safety, simple bike maintenance etc.

And if you declare yourself at the outset as:
A. Total bike head, train lots, do bike races/triathlons and the commute bit is just a way of getting extra miles in and is done at full bike training pace.
B. Bike for fitness (either with running as main sport or not) and like to do bike in lycra, at reasonable speed, certainly always shower necessary!

C. Bike is firstly a mode of transport, essential for the commute, sure a bit of fitness is good, but it's secondary. Safe, reliable and clean are the priorities.

:-) G