Commuting to work by bike

59 watchers
Jun 2014
11:22am, 4 Jun 2014
22,234 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
There is a nice thread about commuting to work by running, and there are loads of terrifying threads about bikes and cycling which are about carbon and mg of weight and lycra.

Thought I'd start a bike commuting one - some things in common with running: how to dry your kit, how to carry/store your work clothes etc. and some bike specific stuff about best mudguards to minimize wet and dirt and maybe some stuff about cycle paths, safety, simple bike maintenance etc.

Can I start with: can you still get bikes with or can you fit afterwards a "chain guard"? The old "hockey stick shaped one that just went over the top, or a fully enclosed one, so you don't get chain oil on your legs or clothes. Even if you don't wear your actual work suit, just casual clothes, not getting filthy would be nice!

And if you declare yourself at the outset as
A. Total bike head, train lots, do bike races/triathlons and the commute bit is just a way of getting extra miles in and is done at full bike training pace.
B. Bike for fitness (either with running as main sport or not) and like to do bike in lycra, at reasonable speed, certainly always shower necessary!

C. Bike is firstly a mode of transport, essential for the commute, sure a bit of fitness is good, but it's secondary. Safe, reliable and clean are the priorities.

I'm B trying to get to C! :-) G
Jun 2014
11:33am, 4 Jun 2014
577 posts
  •  
TeeBee
I commute to work on my bike (being able to was the main reason I took my current job). I know nothing about bikes really so totally a C, but given the injury woes I've had this year, it is also my main form of exercise.

I use a hybrid to commute, and have a rack and a pannier, as I don't like to carry too much on my back. I hang up my clothes discreetly in my office and have access to a couple of shower options, so I'm pretty lucky.

I also have use of my other half's 'old' road bike (he's a complete bike head), which I used for my one and only triathlon last year. Would love to get out on this more often, but we can't get out together due to child care issues, and I'm too much of a wuss to go out on my own. So - moving up up to a B is aspirational.
Jun 2014
11:46am, 4 Jun 2014
15,859 posts
  •  
DeeGee
In an ideal week, I do a human powered commute four times, usually running, although sometimes I cycle instead - mainly if I can't be bothered waking up early enough to run. I did used to cycle daily but just prefer the run nowadays.

I'm very lucky in that I work in a school, and before 8am there are showers galore to be had.

I have two useable bikes, a road bike and an MTB. Which one I use depends on whether I have much to carry and whether I want to wear the clipless shoes or trainers, as the MTB has a two-sided pedal.

I take my work clothes, towel etc into school by car on Monday, bung it in a filing cabinet drawer and then take the day's clothes home at the end of the day - so there's not a huge amount of carrying. I have a single pair of smart work shoes which live under my desk overnight.

I'm resolutely a C, now. No intention of moving back to B. Cycling takes up time when I should be running.
Jun 2014
11:51am, 4 Jun 2014
22,238 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Thanks guys. (TB and DG, maybe I should change to HG aitch-gee?!)

Any idea about chain guards or are modern bikes just not equipped like that? How long are your commute rides? How fast do you do them? Are they busy road, quiet road, cycle path or completely off road? Could you get to work sweat free and in your casual clothes or wouldn't you consider it?

:-) G
Jun 2014
11:55am, 4 Jun 2014
578 posts
  •  
TeeBee
Ah yes - clipless pedals. Always think I should, but terrified of them ...
Jun 2014
12:01pm, 4 Jun 2014
579 posts
  •  
TeeBee
I've only got 5.5 miles, but it's over Richmond Hill, so can get a sweat on if I work hard enough. I have cycled in my work clothes, but prefer changing. I don't always shower (yuk), but I share a small office (with another cyclist) so I feel it is the community minded thing to do on most days!

I have a suburban road commute for the first half (traffic is usually at a crawl so cycling much quicker) and then a nice wizz through Richmond Park to end. Mainly road, with a little off-road cycle path when I choose to.

Sorry I know nothing about chain guards. I have a Ridgeback Comet - it doesn't have a guard, but I've not really had a problem with transfer of oil.
Jun 2014
12:03pm, 4 Jun 2014
15,860 posts
  •  
DeeGee
5 miles each way, so runnable for me, takes me just under 20 mins.

I have a choice of a single-carriageway 60MPH road with bleary eyed hungover commuters, or a main road through town with similar commuters at slower speed, so I use that. There's a shared use path down the side, but I see those as suicidal at any kind of speed on a bike, so I'm on-road.

I do tend to just ride in casual clothes, spray myself like a teenager and then throw my work clothes on. The advantage of whre I work is I can blame the smell on teenagers ;-)
Jun 2014
12:05pm, 4 Jun 2014
580 posts
  •  
TeeBee
I've also run home a few times, but am not doing that distance as the moment. Can't wait until I can do it again!
Jun 2014
12:08pm, 4 Jun 2014
7,537 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
You'd need to be HeeGee to fit in, no?
Jun 2014
12:09pm, 4 Jun 2014
7,538 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
I'm away to start cycling to work, having given up my previous job which was in the Granite City, 45 miles from home.

HUZZAH!! :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
There is a nice thread about commuting to work by running, and there are loads of terrifying threads about bikes and cycling which are about carbon and grams of weight and lycra - not this one: how to dry your kit, how to carry/store your work clothes etc. and some bike specific stuff about best mudguards to minimize wet and dirt and maybe some stuff about cycle paths, safety, simple bike maintenance etc.

And if you declare yourself at the outset as:
A. Total bike head, train lots, do bike races/triathlons and the commute bit is just a way of getting extra miles in and is done at full bike training pace.
B. Bike for fitness (either with running as main sport or not) and like to do bike in lycra, at reasonable speed, certainly always shower necessary!

C. Bike is firstly a mode of transport, essential for the commute, sure a bit of fitness is good, but it's secondary. Safe, reliable and clean are the priorities.

:-) G