Commuting rucksack recommendations

3 watchers
Feb 2017
7:34am, 10 Feb 2017
3,132 posts
  •  
Buzzards Sis
Can anyone recommend a good rucksack for run commuting that will fit a 13 inch laptop, text books, A4 files etc, protests the laptop and is strong enough for a lot of weight?
Feb 2017
7:47am, 10 Feb 2017
155 posts
  •  
Oscar the grouch
I have an under armour lap top bag that takes lap top, a bit of work, full change of clothes, towel and lunch. Weighs a ton though!! For that reason, I don't use it like that often.
Feb 2017
7:55am, 10 Feb 2017
3,133 posts
  •  
Buzzards Sis
Thanks Oscar. I have started working as a teacher so with all I'll need to carry it is always going to be heavy, especially as I am supply at the moment so all over the place and carrying everything as never know what I'll need. It is seriously munching my running time though so run commute has to be the way forward
Feb 2017
8:33am, 10 Feb 2017
1,597 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Vest style is better for weight. I have no experience of the laptop carrying, so how you load it would need investigating.
However, I take an Inov8 pack facebook.com to the Park Run that I fill with £50 of meat from the butchers afterwards. That is still comfy despite _large_ amounts of weight, because the spread of the load through the vest. It is also very stable. (Done ultras with that one) Other brands do that style, I have vest types from Salamon and Ultimate Direction. The large UD one has the slackline in it, so would also probably swallow a laptop comfortably.

OMM packs are lovely too, but with a lot of weight while running, not so sure. They are great for general running and other use though.
Feb 2017
7:42pm, 10 Feb 2017
695 posts
  •  
Flatlander
Last week I bought an Karrimor Urban 30L rucksack karrimor.com which has lots of compartments so you can separate your items, including a padded one with an internal Velcro closure specifically for a laptop. So far I've used it only lightly loaded. It is fairly lightweight and if you adjust the straps it fits snugly and doesn't bounce around. It's currently on sale for £17.99 instead of £34.99, I got mine from Direct Sports. If you can, take all the items you'll be carrying and try out the rucksack in the shop, the staff shouldn't mind.

If 30L is too large for your requirements, 20L and 10L rucksacks are available karrimor.com

If you're going to be carrying a very heavy weight, I doubt is any rucksack will be comfortable.

I have no experience of vests to compare.

Good luck.
Feb 2017
8:14am, 11 Feb 2017
1,353 posts
  •  
FurryHamster
for work i use an older version of this. lowealpine.com

its rugged enough to take laptop folders etc. ive found the karriomor rucksacs dont have the build quality to last as work bags. now work bags once loaded would be too heavy to run with and weight would be wrong. as you want weight up high away from lower back.

if i run commute i take min possible and use a karrimor designed for hiking something like this http://www.karrimor.com/karrimor-hot-rock-ruc-00--792003?colcode=79200308. mainly as it straps to stop the rucksac bouncing on your back and keep the load from moving around while running. also as there are now side pockets you can move your arms back and fore while warning. the hiking rucksacks also have less zips\chances of leaking in rain.

probably not what you want to hear but i will be cycle commuting with panniers so i can get my laptop and gear to work and maintain running fitness. im lucky to be able to run at work during lunch if i need to.
Feb 2017
8:39am, 11 Feb 2017
1,355 posts
  •  
FurryHamster
sorry just looked my work rucksac is this a lowe alpine vector 30
Feb 2017
8:46am, 11 Feb 2017
4,707 posts
  •  
Markymarkmark
I have the same as FL. Was cheap compared to the other options I looked at!

It works well enough for occasional commuting wroth laptop etc but I wouldn't want to do more than 6 or 7 miles fully loaded.

For me it was about the wide apartness of the straps at the top, since I'm quite broad!
Feb 2017
2:23pm, 11 Feb 2017
696 posts
  •  
Flatlander
P.S. My Karrimor Urban rucksack looks showerproof, and a rain cover is available for heavier rain. The rucksack has side adjustable straps so that it can be compressed if it is only partly full, and has chest and waist straps to stop it jumping around.

When I bought mine at Sports Direct, there were so few staff around that trying it on and inspecting it was no problem.
Jan 2020
1:57am, 15 Jan 2020
2 posts
  •  
Ciceroero
Mancro, KROSER, Osprey have affordable commuter backpacks with absolutely high-quality stuff. The KROSER backpack has a lot of compartments, a spacious front desk compartment for personal items, a slot for cards, passports, pens, boarding passes, and a two-part keychain with a snap ring on it. I don't have to look for the key at the bottom of the bag. The USB port is a great bonus. I could have used this backpack when my phone ’s battery ran out, and I connected my phone to the battery charger in the backpack.
[url]https://www.gearhunder.com/backpack-with-charger/[/url]

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Buzzards Sis
Can anyone recommend a good rucksack for run commuting that will fit a 13 inch laptop, text books, A...