Comfy cycling shoes

3 watchers
Jul 2015
11:09am, 27 Jul 2015
733 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Anyone got a top tip for comfy cycling shoes. I have some awful LG cheapo shoes and they're like foot prisons/torture devices after about 20 miles - felt acceptable when I tried them in the shop... Or is it like climbing shoes - that's just how they are, and you have to hate yourself enough to put them on and keep them on? ;)
Thanks in advance
Jul 2015
11:23am, 27 Jul 2015
2,122 posts
  •  
Mandymoo
Have wide feet to and usually end up with pins and needles after 40 miles or so

Just found these

wiggle.co.uk
Jul 2015
11:35am, 27 Jul 2015
2,215 posts
  •  
Molesy
Sidi Mega range also accomodate wide feet. Just bought a pair of these planetx.co.uk
Jul 2015
12:08pm, 27 Jul 2015
734 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
Thanks for the replies folks, both look better than what I've got :) I'm not sure it's the width, I get an aching tension in the plantar fascia - is this just the shoe not being rigid enough, or too rigid? Might an insole help?
Jul 2015
12:56pm, 27 Jul 2015
6,792 posts
  •  
simbil
PF type tension in cycling can be a result of curling your toes up - is your setup well adjusted so you can press down with the ball of your foot?

I've had a few sets of Specialized cycling shoes and always found them good for fit and comfort.
Jul 2015
1:05pm, 27 Jul 2015
735 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
simbil - I have the cleat a little further back than most recommend, though the ache would start at around 10 miles if I had the cleat on the ball of the foot. I wiggle my toes, and stretch my feet out while pedaling in an attempt to stave of the pain.

I do occasionally catch myself 'setting' my ankle (not flexing it), but that's usually on the trainer not when I'm out and about.
Jul 2015
1:15pm, 27 Jul 2015
1,553 posts
  •  
MudMeanderer
There could be a couple of reasons. If the shoe feels comfortable and doesn't squeeze as soon as you start pushing down, it could be the stiffness of the sole. I have some spd commute shoes that are good for short distances, but don't provide enough support for long rides and induce hot-spot pains.

What pedals/cleats are you using? It may be that the position of the cleats is putting loads into your feet that aren't comfortable with. That's possibly an easier thing to check than replacing the shoes for stiffer ones.
Jul 2015
4:29pm, 27 Jul 2015
6,793 posts
  •  
simbil
Doesn't sound right at all FERC, is there anything in the shoe that is pressing up against the sole of your foot? I think I'd apply my usual shoe rule - if they hurt, bin them.

If you can borrow some stiff GRP or carbon soled shoes, might be worth seeing if you get on with them better.
Jul 2015
4:38pm, 27 Jul 2015
736 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
MM: they are SPD shoes with shimano pedals , they're a throw back to my off road bike days, so don't owe me anything.
simbil: nothing in the shoe pressing on the sole - the ache is more like the plantar is bridging from the cleat to the heal... maybe I've just answered my own question with that one :) I have Pinocchio's feet, they have very little flex in them - so a stiffer sole could fix it?
Jul 2015
10:17pm, 27 Jul 2015
3,953 posts
  •  
sallykate
LG = Louis Garneau? I bought some recently but haven't tried them yet - waste of money?

About This Thread

Maintained by
Anyone got a top tip for comfy cycling shoes. I have some awful LG cheapo shoes and they're like fo...