BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Cluck Cluck Cock-a-doodle... DOO!

18 watchers
Feb 2019
12:43am, 26 Feb 2019
70283 posts
  •  
Hanneke
That is very sad! I lost 2 to a terrier and one to a fox. At least she was taken and eaten. The two killed by the terrier where simply shaken until their necks where broken and then left.
Feb 2019
6:28am, 26 Feb 2019
3544 posts
  •  
Pou Pou LePhoõk
I'm also down to one chicken, although old age and illness seem to have taken mine. There should be a home for single chickens, like this thread.
Feb 2019
9:01pm, 26 Feb 2019
70284 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It fluctutes wildly here. I started with three, then one perished of egg yolk peritonitis, so I had two for a bit. In order to avoid the single chicken and hence not being able to get any more chickens until the single chicken died syndrome, I got three new ones so was up to 5 chickens. Two got killed by my neighbour's terrier, so back to three. of which one got taken by the fox, down to 2, got three new ones, two perished of Botulism as it was so hot last summer, back down to 3. Then I got 3 new ones, so now I have 6, as of August last year.
Feb 2019
9:01pm, 26 Feb 2019
70285 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It fluctutes wildly here. I started with three, then one perished of egg yolk peritonitis, so I had two for a bit. In order to avoid the single chicken and hence not being able to get any more chickens until the single chicken died syndrome, I got three new ones so was up to 5 chickens. Two got killed by my neighbour's terrier, so back to three. of which one got taken by the fox, down to 2, got three new ones, two perished of Botulism as it was so hot last summer, back down to 3. Then I got 3 new ones, so now I have 6, as of August last year.
Feb 2019
9:26pm, 26 Feb 2019
16619 posts
  •  
Carpathius
I didn't know this thread existed!

We have seven silly chickens; Evelyn, Doris, Rambo, Octavia, Flavia, Splodge and Flora. Doris hatched the latter three (plus two cockerels we had to rehome because I can't see the neighbours enjoying the crowing like I do).
Mar 2019
2:50pm, 3 Mar 2019
7471 posts
  •  
CStar
Lost our last 3 last week to a dog fox who broke it, removed the heads of all 3 and left everything else :-( :-( It is nature, but I wish the bloody thing would at least take one to eat.

I think that may be it for us for the time being. DS2 who was chief chicken carer has gone off the idea now that he is 14. We've had chooks on and off for 7/8 years, so it will be odd without them, but maybe we'll have a break. I think probably I'll get some more once I escape to the proper countryside in a few years time.
Mar 2019
6:52pm, 3 Mar 2019
16651 posts
  •  
Carpathius
That's so sad CStar. Bloody foxes :(
Mar 2019
8:24pm, 3 Mar 2019
14811 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
We’re lucky enough to live in the country so very few foxes (my neighbours (all farmers) see to that ;) ).

I’m looking to star again this Spring, having had 18 months off. Hoping to get half a dozen Black Rocks and maybe a trio of ISA Browns.
Mar 2019
9:29am, 4 Mar 2019
70288 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Oh sounds good Angus!

I am happy with my 6, they provide enough eggs for myself, with enough surplus to sell to selected yoga students and massage therapists etc to cover the cost of their feed. Mind, I put up fort knox at vast cost: Galvanised deer fencing, 2.10 metres high so a fox can't get over! I will never make that back, even with more chickens.

Mine are all different breeds:

Paola is a tricolour Leghorn, an anomaly in breeding terms and very very pretty. She was rescued by me from the brink of death of EYP last year and therefore always comes to see me when I am in the garden. She flies very well, so I have clipped her wing as she flew out of her enclosure, which isn't a good thing when I am away, thinking they are safe, as she can get out but not back in! She is from my second lot of three, the other 2 were taken bu a terrier :(
Nera, a Longtown Brown, local breed, is the old biddy of the lot and my last remaining original of my 3 first chickens. She is now 5 and suffers from chronic vent gleet and lays about 5 eggs a year but she is retired, she has done her bit.

Bianca Castafiore is a leghorn/auracana cross and lays blue eggs. She is a prolific layer and like Paola has her wing clipped, because she flies too well... She is from my 3rd lot of 3, sadly her two 'siblings' died of Botulism last summer, because it was so hot it developed in the water butts from which I used to give them water. They were the youngets and weakest.
Last August I aquired 3 new hens:
Bianca is a Light Sussex and a bit bland, but a good layer.
Blu is a Bluebelle and an excellent layer and very very pretty!
And the Freule van Welsum, she is a Welsumer and very pretty but they aren't the greatest of layers...

That is my lot... I am planning on getting tghem a new coop, as the current one is only big enough for 6 and it is coming to the end of its life, being 5 years old and off Ebay. I will get a 9 bird coop so there is scope for another trio this summer. Thinking Legbar, Columbian Blacktail and Speckledy. Or maybe another Leghorn, for the white eggs. I also like the looks of Leghorns and they are really clever. Bit flighty though, can't pick them up easily. Takes ages to get them 'tame', which is tricky for checking for mites and fleas and stuff.
Mar 2019
11:55am, 4 Mar 2019
14812 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
One of my first rescue chooks was a Welsummer. Very pretty hen but, as you say, not the best layer.

About This Thread

Maintained by Hanneke
A thread for chicken fanciers! Donkeys and some goats allowed too, we are a liberal lot ;)

Also for all things farmyard related, like cheese, eggs, fruit, veg, ducks and their delicious eggs... you name it :)