Club Insurance

2 watchers
Sep 2017
10:46pm, 28 Sep 2017
3,913 posts
  •  
Black Cat
A question I'd be very grateful for an answer to.

Our club, as I'm sure many others do, allows potential new members to try us out for two or three weeks.

Are they covered by the EA insurance?
Sep 2017
1:10pm, 29 Sep 2017
3,914 posts
  •  
Black Cat
Bump!
Sep 2017
1:42pm, 29 Sep 2017
2,872 posts
  •  
larkim
What are athletes insured "against" by virtue of their insurance that you are concerned about? Coaches etc are covered in their coaching activities, so if a coach were to cause an injury to a non-paid up member which became the subject of a claim, the coach would be covered (as far as I am aware).

I'm struggling to think of any reason why an individual athlete would actually need to be covered by an insurance policy, though I'm sure someone will come along to put me right.
Sep 2017
1:44pm, 29 Sep 2017
2,873 posts
  •  
larkim
Answering my own question, the policies and examples are here:-
uka.org.uk
Sep 2017
1:55pm, 29 Sep 2017
2,874 posts
  •  
larkim
So I think the answer is as follows:-
- if a non-paid up member did something in the course of athletics activity, such as injury (negligently) another athlete, or damage property etc, I'd strongly expect they weren't insured for this. But then, in their day to day lives they also probably don't carry any cover for this anyway, so there's no real change.
- but if that non-paid up member was injured by the coach telling them to run off a cliff, or "pull down that fence so we can run through that field", then it wouldn't matter as the coach would be covered in any event. i.e. if the coach injures them, the coach is covered (and they don't need to be).

But I am not a lawyer!!
Sep 2017
1:58pm, 29 Sep 2017
379 posts
  •  
oi you
I suspect the answer is no, they’re not. There’s a bit on the EA website that explicitly says “have paid their subscription”.
If, through their own negligence, a guest runner causes accident or injury they’re on their own. The club, its coaches & officials would be covered though.
That’s my guess, anyway.
Sep 2017
2:14pm, 29 Sep 2017
3,915 posts
  •  
Black Cat
That's what I thought. I've noticed, in the course of googling, that some clubs get guests to complete a form and charge a nominal fee for insurance reasons. Presumably it's classed as a temporary subscription.
Sep 2017
3:26pm, 29 Sep 2017
2,875 posts
  •  
larkim
I am always cynical about this "for insurance reasons" stuff. We go about most of our daily lives without any insurance cover for many of the things we do and seem to get by OK.

I wonder how many experiences of individual athletes being sued by "someone else" for something that happened in the course of a training session? I can well imagine coaches etc being sued, but I'd imagine the frequency of incidents causing the insurance to be necessary are very few and far between.

I had understood generally that most people's home insurance would offer some form of cover for these sorts of acts anyway.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Black Cat
A question I'd be very grateful for an answer to.

Our club, as I'm sure many others do,...