Climbing Shoes

1 watcher
Oct 2012
12:04am, 24 Oct 2012
3,500 posts
  •  
Kieren
I've been bouldering / climbing a few times now and I like it. I don't think i'll be doing it too often but enough that I want my own shoes.

I don't know anything about climbing shoes apart from that you wear no socks and they have to be tight.

Any tips / cheapish shoe recommendations?
Oct 2012
12:08am, 24 Oct 2012
1,316 posts
  •  
Just Matt
Go try some on, they seem to vary wildly in shape depending on manufacturer.
Do you climb indoors? Try some of the hire shoes.

Have a look on ebay.
It seems to be a hobby of some climbers to fit their feet into smaller and smaller shoes, but I would say get what is comfortably tight.
Oct 2012
1:51am, 24 Oct 2012
3,501 posts
  •  
Kieren
Yeah indoors and for ease of access / planning I will probably mostly boulder.

The hire ones have been a bit hit and miss. Some really run on my ankles.

I think it's probably best to go and get fitted. Much like that first pair of running shoes.

Thanks Matt
Oct 2012
6:22am, 24 Oct 2012
13,973 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Velcro rather than laces. Easy to loosen off when you are belaying or loafing about then tighten up again when you need to.
Oct 2012
7:22am, 24 Oct 2012
22,033 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I recommend wearing a thin pair of socks with your climbing shoes, otherwise they'll start to stink . Something really light like a Falke RU6. You won't know it's there. It'll also prevent ankle rubbing.

Otherwise, it's definitely worth trying on a variety of shoes and choosing something that fits closely but is comfortable. As with running shoes, anything that niggles in the shop will hurt like hell on the wall. And most shops will have a place for you to practise edging and climbing to make sure the shoes are up to the job.
Oct 2012
8:20am, 24 Oct 2012
7 posts
  •  
Training Log
boots get trashed indoor really quick so go for at least 6mm rubber ,you can then get them resoled before the uppers wear,hard to advise on sizing as some makes and models will stretch but you dont want your big toe to be bunched too much to start with.

its how you use feet rather than what is on them,they must be very tight to have confidence on small holds but they are unusable if they cause pain.
Climbers whine about boots non stop so dont expect a perfect pair/fit first go .
Oct 2012
9:53am, 24 Oct 2012
2,646 posts
  •  
Mountain Cat
They don't have to be that tight - unless you're climbing really hard it's probably not your shoes that will hold you back. Get a shoe that is snug (your toes should touch the ends), but not so tight that they are curled over or in pain, despite what sales assistants will try to tell you.
Oct 2012
2:55am, 25 Oct 2012
3,502 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thank-you all for the tips. These are very useful. I feel like I am in a much better position to know what to ask for in a shop and make an informed decision.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
I've been bouldering / climbing a few times now and I like it. I don't think i'll be doing it to...